Yeast starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusselDoc

Reaction score
When you get to the final stage of building your yeast starter, do you pitch it while it is still in its aerobic stage? Or, do you let the yeast starter ferment then pitch the dormant yeast?

Same thing for storing yeast in the fridge. If I take a yeast culture and grow it up to make several future starters, then do I need to let it finish growing aerobically (with aeration) until all the nutrients are used, or do I let it ferment and store the dormant yeast?

I've had the best luck with pitching at high kruesen, aerobic stage however you can easily go ahead and pitch the dormant yeast... it will wake up with the new sugars it is exposed to with your wort.

Storing yeast in a fridge, it is best to let it completely finish out, then store it... I didnt wait once and unfortunately, I had the starter explode on me in my fridge... huge mess...

Pitch it while it's going! If you're gonna fridge it, boil a bit of wort the morning you brew and put it in the starter to wake the yeasties up.

B

Pitch it while it's going! If you're gonna fridge it, boil a bit of wort the morning you brew and put it in the starter to wake the yeasties up.

B

I guess that is the question. What do you mean by 'going'? Aerobic growth while aerating or once the yeast start fermenting?

I think you are confusing your terms... I think what you are presenting is when the yeast is off-gassing c02 from its fermentation. Thats what me mean by "going". High Kruesen is when the bubbles are forming and collecting. This is an indicator that the yeast are in their most active state.

I am trying to use the terms correctly; not sure where the confusion is. CO2 is released during both aerobic and anaerobic respiration, but when fermenting (anaerobic) CO2 and ethanol are produced. So, when we observe a starter as 'going', it could be either aerobically or anaerobically respiring. A yeasts most active state should be during aerobic respiration, when oxygen is available and cells are multiplying. This should be the best time to pitch, yes? Or, am I completely misinformed here?

I think you are over-complicating the process... When a starter or wort forms a large amount of bubbles on the top it is off-gassing co2... this is the time that you would want to pitch into your waiting wort... This is what is called pitching at High Kreusen... This will give your starter the best possible start on a batch of wort that needs to be fermented.

Thats your optimal situation...

For homebrew use, the difference between aerobic and anaerobic stage won't make that much of a difference.

Ideally, you'd want them in the middle of aerobic. You're pitching the yeast starter on top of freshly aerated wort. So the yeast will just continue to reproduce until the O2 is gone, then go anaerobic and start producing ethanol.

As long as your yeast isn't sitting dormant when you pitch it (like putting the starter in the fridge) then you'll be fine.

get a copy of this yeast book.
http://s125483039.onlinehome.us/sto...ath=12&zenid=d1614ba99b35506ad621607952fca708

B

Back