Yeast Starter for Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootney

Reaction score
Looking to try my first lager that requires a starter. I'm just curious do I have the temp for the starter at the same temp range that the yeast suggest that it ferments at?

When I make my lagers, I make the starter at room temp, which for my basement, is around 65 or so. Pitch about twice as much yeast as you would for an ale for your lager and you should be ok.

Avid,

Thanks for the reply. I put the OG on a pitch calculator after your post as I thought one would be enough, but it clearly is not. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

I live in Florida, so I have to use a fridge with an ETC on it, and I was planning to chill it to 48-58 F to prepare for the primary fermenting temps that this yeast pack suggest. I was planning to place the starter in there at that temp, but I have concerns whether or not that would be to cold for a starter.

So if I can have the starter at this temp that would save me the hassle of trying to chill the fridge down rapidly as I don't know how quick it can chill.

Thanks

You can have the starter at room temperature- after all, you're growing yeast, not making beer. About two days before you brew, you can chill your starter and then decant the spent wort before adding it to your lager.

Thanks for the replies guys. I read those two articles and points from this thread and came away with letting it start at 72° and then try and chill it to fermenting temps to avoid shocking the yeast.

Now here's a follow up question. Per pitch calculator I need 2 packages of wy and a 2L starter. MrMalty suggest not pitching large starters all at once. Would this be considered a large starter and if so how much starter should be added to the 5 gallon, or can I just add the whole starter?

Back