yeast starter DME question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstewart

Reaction score
I have a 3 lb bag of Munton's Wheat dried malt extract that I don't expect to be doing anything else with, so I'm thinking about using it for yeast starters and for bottling (in place of corn sugar). If I'm using it for a non-wheat beer, such as the brown ale I'll be bottling in a month or two, is it going to contribute any unwanted flavors? Would I be better off using the little bit of amber liquid malt extract I have instead?

as far as starters go, I chill the starter to drop the yeast then throw away the liquid containing any wheat taste and pitch just the yeast. that way you don't dilute or change the wort.

as far as taste, I always use Extra light dme so I can't give you a definite answer

Ok, so it sounds like the wheat malt extract is fine for a yeast starter regardless of beer style but I should use something more neutral for bottling. Thanks for your help!

Fine for starters but it would be cheaper to by corn sugar for bottling and save the DME for starters

Back