Yeast starter after 18 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikeirons

Reaction score
After 18 hours my first starter has a nice layer forming on the bottom of the jar. Just verifying that is how it should look. Also how long after it was made should I refrigerate it so I can decant top liquid?
When I refrigerate that layer on the bottom should solidify so it will not pour out when I decant right?

Thanks!!

I think it´s better to pitch at high krausen, but if you want to do it differently: is not that the bottom solidifies, the yeast goes dormant at cooler temps and precipitates to the bottom of your flask, just be carefull when decanting.

I'll put it in the fridge. If I add the whole 1.5 quart starter when I brew will it cause any problems with my brew or is it recommended to pour off liquid first?

Shouldn't make too much of a difference. Volumes will be slightly off, but not very much. A lot of people pour off most of the liquid, then shake to bring the yeast back into solution and aid in pouring, and then pitch. Either way, you should be fine. But if you're going to pitch the whole thing, there's no need to refrigerate. In fact, I wouldn't advise it. I'd want the yeast to be close to 65° or so. You'd only want to chill it if you plan on decanting. And then, you'd want to let it warm back up before pitching, ideally.

Back