Yeast Stalactites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoritzasu

Reaction score
This weekend I attempted my first beer using yeast I captured from a fig tree in my backyard. I began a small starter with the yeast and then plated to isolate a single colony. I was successful and began to step-up the single colony to a sufficient pitching volume.

I brewed a 3 gallon Pils/Wheat (66%/33%) with Northern Brewer hops (25 IBU's) and pitched the started last night. This morning I took a look at the FV and saw this. Was wondering if anyone has sen yeast do this before? Usually all my fermentation's have a krausen with a flat interface, not big ol yeast colonies hanging down. Just curious to read some comments about it. Thanks.

yeast.jpg

Looks like coagulated proteins/trub to me. Sometimes it gets suspended while fermentation is active.

I've had nice and lumpy krausen before. Belgian yeast it was iirc.

Out of curiosity, how did the starter smell/taste?

Edit: +1 on JonM's post. Cold break.

Looks like coagulated proteins/trub to me. Sometimes it gets suspended while fermentation is active.

That makes a lot of sense. I had more than normal trub/protein this time since I did the BIAB method.

I've had nice and lumpy krausen before. Belgian yeast it was iirc.

Out of curiosity, how did the starter smell/taste?

Edit: +1 on JonM's post. Cold break.

The starter smelled just like brewers yeast and was very neutral in taste. There was nothing odd at all with it. I'm curious to see how it does with the brew.

Back