Yeast recommendations please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am the super lucky winner of a 5 gallon bucket of Black Double IPA wort from my local AHA rally this weekend at Lucid Brewery. Anybody have a recommendation of yeast and starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What's the OG? I'd have at least 2 packs of US-05 on standby. If you have the time and equipment for a big starter, I'd get a batch of 1450 rolling ASAP.

Not sure what the OG is. I pick it up on Saturday and will be able to test it then. I have a stir plate so I plan on making a starter.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ASK what the OG is when you pick it up. Sounds like it will basically be a no-chill cube full of sterile wort, do NOT risk opening it up and contaminating it to make a plan after doing a gravity reading. The brewery should be able to tell you exactly what you have. While there, ask them about getting some house yeast. Lots of breweries will gladly give you a few cups of super concentrated yeast if you ask nicely. If it it IS cubed good wort, you are in no huge rush. Spending a couple days making a starter should not hurt you at all.

Back