Yeast Recommendation for Baltic Porter (1.080 OG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
I'm designing a high gravity baltic porter @ 1.080 OG, and I'm having a tough time deciding on what yeast to use; I'd love some suggestions.

I'd like something that's pretty clean, letting the malt and adjunct character shine through (planning on adding some molasses). At the same time, I'd like it to be pretty clear, so medium to high flocculation.

I was thinking about WLP002 English Ale since I've used it in the past with good results for Bitters... But I've heard that for baltic porters, I should really use a lager yeast or at least cold-ferment with ale yeasts. Anyone used 002 at low temps with success?

I think WLP002 would be fairly out of style for Baltic porter. It's not a very clean yeast and because it flocculates well I would guess that fermenting it too low will result in significant underattenuation since WLP002 will probably fall out even earlier than usual. I prefer something like WLP833 in this style, which finishes a little maltier than most lager yeasts and is very clean. If you want to use an ale yeast, something really clean like WLP001 would be ideal, or perhaps you could use a Kölsch yeast.

I personally like any of the "hybrid" ale/lager yeasts for my baltic porters so they are more "true" to their roots. I've got Wy1007 german ale and WLP080 cream ale blend that both ferment well in the mid 50s. THis gets my baltic porters extra smooth

I liked wlp802 in a couple of baltic porters I made. I really think it should be made with a lager yeast to be traditional, and not a super, super clean lager yeast.

802 is a czech strain thats well behaved and attenuates well. With a 1.080 lager thats important, as diacetyl or under attenuation would be especially gross.

With lager-ing for the amount of time necessary for a 1.080 beer, any yeast should drop clear.

I'll throw two cents in for WLP810--San Fransisco Lager Yeast. It ferments at wide temperatures and can make a nice Baltic Porter.

Thanks for the suggestions all! I've also had someone recommend WLP007... If anyone has experience with that as well.

With lager-ing for the amount of time necessary for a 1.080 beer, any yeast should drop clear.

Gotcha. My projected brew day is at the end of this month, and I'd love to have it ready by Thanksgiving/Christmas time. I figured 3 months would be plenty of time at cellar temp (55-60ºF).

I brewed an 1.061 Oktoberfest with Saflager 34/70 then pitched the 1.081 Baltic Porter on the full yeast cake.

It's a great yeast.

GGKVSnVzABBBwOM4TT4pRlnaYb7vVFPg1s5xH_vU8Nk

I've been thinking about the same thing for my upcoming baltic porter brew. Was planning on using the yeast cake from an Alt, using White labs Dusseldorf Alt yeast (WLP036). This yeast does a good job highlighting the malt character of the beer and finishes pretty clean. I think the high gravity and rich malt character of a baltic porter dominate the style so any clean yeast, be it ale or lager would work.

I'm designing a high gravity baltic porter @ 1.080 OG, and I'm having a tough time deciding on what yeast to use; I'd love some suggestions.

I'd like something that's pretty clean, letting the malt and adjunct character shine through (planning on adding some molasses). At the same time, I'd like it to be pretty clear, so medium to high flocculation.

I was thinking about WLP002 English Ale since I've used it in the past with good results for Bitters... But I've heard that for baltic porters, I should really use a lager yeast or at least cold-ferment with ale yeasts. Anyone used 002 at low temps with success?

Sorry for a bit of resurrection but I figured this would be easier than starting a new thread.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, I ended up grabbing the WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast and I'm going to be building my starter this week for my brewday this coming Saturday.

A quick question though, when covering the flask with tinfoil while it's on the stirplate, do I need to make sure it's crimped down pretty tight? Or should I leave it pretty loose?

Late to the party, but I second (or third) the WLP810. That's my go to for a Baltic porter.

As for the tin foil, you're not going to get it too tight without using rubber bands or something like that. Crimp it down good so that bugs and floating dust can't get in.

Gotcha, thanks!

And since you've used this for Baltics before... how big a starter do you usually use? And any particular temp you prefer to ferment? I was thinking about shooting for 50-52°F.

Check out Mr. Malty's yeast calculator:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

It's a great resource if you haven't used it.

I usually re-pitch yeast from a lower gravity batch. If I was using a fresh vial, I would probably step up a 2L starter to about a gallon. I ferment as cold as I can, around 55-58*. If you can ferment at at 50-52*, I think that would be just fine.

Check out Mr. Malty's yeast calculator:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

It's a great resource if you haven't used it.

I usually re-pitch yeast from a lower gravity batch. If I was using a fresh vial, I would probably step up a 2L starter to about a gallon. I ferment as cold as I can, around 55-58*. If you can ferment at at 50-52*, I think that would be just fine.

Yeah, I plugged in my numbers to the calculator, and it suggested a 2.28L starter, so I was just going to go with that.

Back