yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
So my yeast starter has been in fridge for 3 days after sitting for 18 hrs after I made it. It looks good I think and wondering if I should take it out of fridge in the morning if I plan on brewing tomorrow evening or just take it out a few hrs before? Also do you decant right before you pitch or after you take out of fridge? Thanks guys much appreciated

You want the yeast to be at the temp you're going to ferment at, so base it off that knowledge. You can decant it at any time, but probably have less chance of infection if you do it for just before pitching.

Ideally you want your starter to be within 10 degrees of your wort temperature (some say even 5 degrees) and you want the starter to be cooler than the wort to avoid shocking the yeast. When I make a starter, I keep it in my fermentation chamber at 75F until its done growing, then cool it to pitching temp. On brew day I decant and then add a small amount of starter wort to rouse it, and by the time I pitch, it's active and ready.

Back