Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiodome21

Reaction score
image-1571672020.jpg

This is used yeast. I made a Wit a few weeks ago thatI made a starter with about 6 hours ago. I am brewing right now and when I pitch the yeast should i scoop up the yeast on the plate and toss it in the fermenter as well?

Oh my! You'd have major contamination from the outside of the bottle down to the plate on any of the yeast that escaped.

If you really need to use that yeast, you could try rescuing some out of the bottle and hope that it's ok.

Skip any outside the bottle. How long has the seel been broken? Plus that looks like a huge amount of yeast for a five or ten gallon batch.

Yes it was from a prior batch. I ended up using all of it including the stuff on the plate. Should be interesting to see how it turns out. Since I didn't have to buy yeast this Wit wasn't too expensive. Basically this was an experiment to see if I should be keeping and reusing my yeast. I've been sniffing my airlock and I have to say it smells quite delightful. Not that that really means much of anything.

Well, 2 weeks later and the beer has been kegged and tried. It's all good. Better than the last wit I made. Moral of the story? It's hard to infect beer.

Back