yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trek87654

Reaction score
so i just put everything into the carboy to ferment and the yeast has been poured in....do I need to stir it or anything? I just pour the yeast into the carboy and its spreadout but seems to be floating on the top.

Thanks!

DeathBrewer said:
you don't need to stir it. it'll find it's way inside. did you aerate your wort, tho? if you haven't you should spin and splash it for a few minutes.

I did splash it around and mix it up prior to putting in the yeast

trek87654 said:
so i just put everything into the carboy to ferment and the yeast has been poured in....do I need to stir it or anything? I just pour the yeast into the carboy and its spreadout but seems to be floating on the top.

Thanks!
Was it dry yeast straight from a packet? If so, is it floating on the foam? If yes, then you have to swirl it all around to get it wet and into the wort.

If it was liquid yeast or rehydrated dry yeast, you are fine.

FlyGuy said:
Was it dry yeast straight from a packet? If so, is it floating on the foam? If yes, then you have to swirl it all around to get it wet and into the wort.

If it was liquid yeast or rehydrated dry yeast, you are fine.

it was dry yeast from a packet. it's sitting on the top but its not foamy at all

trek87654 said:
it was dry yeast from a packet. it's sitting on the top but its not foamy at all
You gotta mix it in, then. Those yeasties need to rehydrate themselves before they can go to work. If they are sitting on foam from the wort, it is going to impair things.

thanks all
i just gave it a good swirl so its all mixed in.

is it normal that there seems to be a layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy?

trek87654 said:
thanks all
i just gave it a good swirl so its all mixed in.

is it normal that there seems to be a layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy?
Yep. It will always be there. No worries.

Have you heard anyone say RDWHAHB yet? ;)

FlyGuy said:
Yep. It will always be there. No worries.

Have you heard anyone say RDWHAHB yet? ;)

Nope...care to enlighten me?
I'm guessin its somethin to do with my newbie questions.

Back