Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rascal

Reaction score
I brewed a kit 2 days ago from Midwest called Noble Trappist Ale. I didn't use a starter (for the White Labs vial) and never saw any airlock activity for approximately 36 hours. I opened the lid at noon today and there were no visible signs any type of fermentation had occurred. It appeared that all of the yeast and sunk to the bottom. I had an extra packet of Safale US-05. I sprinkled this on top and when I came home 4 hours later the airlock was going crazy. Should my beer turn out OK or not? Thanks

It will be beer. It's probably not going to be to style but you will enjoy it because you made it.

I will give out the tips that everyone gets when they post about a non or stuck fermentation. Have patience, get a hydrometer and read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Cheers and all that stuff!

I had an extra packet of Safale US-05. I sprinkled this on top and when I came home 4 hours later the airlock was going crazy. Should my beer turn out OK or not? Thanks

I've never had US-05 take off that quick so hopefully it was your first yeast that took control and it takes over before the 05 has a chance, so your beer is more to style. It won't be very "trappist" if the 05 does the work, but will still drinkable beer I imagine!

Did you take gravity readings? That's the only way to know if fermentation has taken place. It is very possible for a full fermentation to take place in 36 hours with a light krausen ring and NO airlock activity, especially in a plastic bucket that is slightly gas permiable and has a lid with imperfect seals.

You HAVE to take gravity readings to be able to analyse fermentation properly!!

Latest posts

Back