yeast population growth questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
Would someone help me understand yeast population growth better? Is there an article somewhere that explains it? Here's what I would like to know:

What is the relationship between initial yeast population and the size of a starter? Let's say I start with 100,000 yeast cells and put that into a 1.5L starter, how many yeast cells will I end up with? Also, if I started with 10,000,000 yeast cells in a 1.5L starter, how many will I end up with?

Sometimes I have just a little washed yeast and I want to make enough for a 5 gallon batch. Would I be better off making a 800ml starter, decanting and stepping up to 1.5L starter? Can I just make a 1.5L starter with my small amount of washed yeast and end up at with the same amount as if I stepped up (obviously not, I suppose).

Is there a rule of thumb of how mush slurry to add to a certain size starter where you are getting maximum benefit? Let's say I added the same amount of yeast to 750ml starter and a 1.5L starter. Would I end up with the same amount of yeast? What is the maximum amount of yeast you can have in 1.5L of wort?

Sorry for all the questions and rambling, but I am thinking while I write this and just want to get a handle on yeast growing.

This isn't an article, but somebody pointed this out to me the other day: http://yeastcalc.com/

Playing with it a little bit will probably answer some of your questions.

this site it great! i like the yeast calc and also the information on that site.
Using that yeast calc, it looks like if I do a 1L stepped to a 1.5L starter I'd always have enough yeast for 5 Gallons of Ale..even using 3 month old yeast.

Back