Yeast pitching help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravNasty

Reaction score
Today I brewed the White house honey porter from AHS. I did the extract brew with the added Brewvint alcohol boost. The included yeast was wyeast london ale 1028. I slapped the pack yesterday and brewed 24 hours later. My OG was 1.068. I went on mrmalty.com and it recomended 3.8 packets of liquid yeast without a starter. Without a homebrew store within 3 hours of me I was wondering if I should add some muntons gold dry yeast (i have 2 packets on hand) Any suggestions?

Just let it ride. Check the gravity in about 5 to 7 days, and see where it's at. If it's too high then you can consider re-pitching.

By the way, I just brewed the same kit, but I didn't use the ABV boost. I used the White Labs yeast...

How did it turn out? Any ideas for additions to the secondary? I kinda wanna add Vanilla beans.

How did it turn out? Any ideas for additions to the secondary? I kinda wanna add Vanilla beans.

I just brewed it last weekend, but I'm sure it will be good. It's a pretty standard London Porter outside of the honey. I don't do a lot of flavoring, although I have made a really good vanilla porter. In my case I just used a powdered vanilla extract instead of using vanilla beans. I've been considering soaking vanilla beans in Knob Creek and adding it to a stout or porter, but I plan on leaving this particular batch alone. I want to see what the recipe is like on it's own.

it'll be fine. fermentation might be a little slow to start but that's about it. I used to pitch a single packet of yeast all the time and never noticed off flavors or anything just a little slow to get going at times.

Back