yeast pitch temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckertonrr

Reaction score
Question - On the packet of Safale 05 yeast, all the instructions I can find say to pitch at 80 degrees F. What if the ambient temp of the room is above 80, like in the summertime with no AC? Should the wort be chilled to below the ambient temp of the room? I don't really want to turn the AC on just for beer brewing.... Thanks!

Yes the yeast should be pitched at 65 degrees. It should also be fermented for 4 or 5 days no warmer than 68 after that you can let it warm up to 75 or so. Yes turn on the ac and look up a swamp cooler for your fermenter. You can pitch yeast at 80 but you need to drop the beer tempature down to 65 in the next couple of hours.:eek:

I"ve pitches at 77-80 for years....but I do move the bucket into a freezer set to say 62*F. Can't say I've had a bad beer because of temp control

Definitely chill below ambient. For the first 4-5 days of ferment I put the bucket in a bathtub full of water with a floating thermometer. In the summer I add frozen 2 liter bottles to keep water temp about 62ish. Winter months I use an aquarium heater turned as low as it will go.

Latest posts

Back