yeast pitch for small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sky4meplease

Reaction score
For my 5 gallon batches I build larger than needed yeast starters and then save x amount in the refrigerator for future batches with the same strain.
I am entertaining the thought of doing some 1 gallon test batch type brewing and wondering how brewers utilizing the technique mentioned above pitch into brews that they only need a portion of what they have saved .
Is it ok to warm a sample from the fridge, put it on the stir plate to get the yeast back into suspension, decant what I need for my small test brew, make notes of everything and put the samples back to the fridge?
Is it ok to do this to a saved sample from the fridge a couple times without harming the yeast?

Probably faster and easier to just swirl the yeast back into suspension cold and measure out what you need. It will take a few minutes of swirling.

Yeah say you have 50ml of actual yeast slurry in 200ml of total liquid, but the yeast calc says you only need 25ml for a small batch. Then yes, just swirl up the entire container of liquid, take half of it, and put the rest back in the fridge. I do this all the time and I love using those small little mason jars that have the ml markings every 50ml so you can accurately guess.

Back