Yeast pitch for 1.080 DIPL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Lebowski

Reaction score
So I intended on doing a 2L starter wth two vials of WL German Lager yeast but only had one vial until yesterday. I'm brewing later this evening and have had the starter going since Monday - been crashing in the fridge over night.

My question is... along with the 2L starter (one packet of WL), I now have two more packets that came in yesterday. Should I pitch the starter and one extra packet or the starter and both packets? My calculated OG is a little over 1.080 for a five gallon batch. I plan on pitching at fermentation temps, low 50's, and not at warmer temps to help get things going. Thanks

Probably would be short on yeast cells needed. Check out online yeast calculators. If you know the date of your yeast packs you can see where you would stand. 1.080 lager you would need approximately 550 billion cells. 2 liter starter if your yeast pack was filled that day would give you 377 billion cells and one fresh pack would add another 100 billion for around 477 billion. But the yeast could be weeks/months old...so figure even less.

Back