Yeast pinching question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbes

Reaction score
Just did my first batch on Saturday, and it's bubbling away in a cool dark place. However, one thing that bothered me ( after the fact of course ) is that the "pitching instructions" on the yeast said I should sprinkle it in to the wort. Which I did and then sealed it up. What I didn't do was mix it in to the wort after sprinkling it in.

Will this prolong my fermentation process? Or is it not that big of a deal? Is there some other reason this will cause issues?

Thanks!

Sprinkling it on dry will increase lag time. Even moreso if you had foam on top from aerating/mixing. In that case,a light stir would help. I prefer to re-hydrate dry yeast in 2C of boiled water cooled to 70-75F or so for 20-30 minutes while chilling the wort. Covered of course. Then take hydrometer sample,stir yeast cream,pour it in & seal'er up.

I've seen some that say to sprinkle it on like that, but many packages do have rehydration instructions on them. And then soon you will hopefully have some nice strong brew, and then when enjoyed with the SO, that is when the pinching starts ...

It's "pitching" ;)

It's not that big of a deal, you'll still wind up with beer.
Damn, I can't even blame that on you hearing me wrong either.

Ah well, I'm a noob. I can stomach it.

As far as rehydration; I was planning on doing so on my next batch, I've read it speeds up fermentation. As this was my first batch, though, I wanted to follow the instructions perfectly before varying.

I sprinkle dry yeast directly on top of my wort when brewing. I have never had a problem with slow starts, or incomplete fermentation. You do not need to mix or rehydrate dry yeast at all. I just cut the pack open, sprinkle on top, and close everything up. You should have no problems at all.

You should be fine, i usually aerate/shake in my bucket after i sprinkle the yeast in though just for my own sanity.

Well, a couple days later and there appears to be almost no activity in the air lock. I'm worried I didn't aerate the batch well enough prior to adding the yeast and sealing it up.

At this point, is my best bet just to wait it out ( 2 weeks ), then rack it to a secondary to see what happens? Or are there some steps I could take now to get things moving again?

You're gonna hear this phrase a lot... DWRHAHB (don't worry, relax, have a home brew).

You're gonna hear this phrase a lot... DWRHAHB (don't worry, relax, have a home brew).
Noted.

Unfortunately, this is my first batch, so I'll have to have a store-bought until this one is ready.

There's a def difference in lag time between pitching dry & re-hydrated. Rehydrating brings them closer to the reproductive phase before visible fermentation commences.

Back