Yeast overflowing on Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabimkbrewer

Reaction score
Hello,

After cooling down my wort and siphon to my carboy fermenter (add it 1 cup of water to the gallon mark), with yeast in it, notice the next morning was overflowing, sterilized the siphon and took some out wort out, then add it small tspn of yeast.

Will this damage my batch.? Also when is fermented, then add it to the bucket, can I add a 2 cups of water or is it enough when I first created the worth?

Mk

All is well. It's just a sign of a healthy, vigorous fermentation. You can rig up a blowoff tube if you have some tubing and a stopper. If not, just keep an eye on it and make sure the airlock doesn't clog. Really active fermentation shouldn't last more than a day or two. Next time, start with a blowoff tube and add a couple drops of Fermcap-S, which should help a lot.

It is very common to have krausen pushing through the airlock when fermenting one gallon of beer in a one gallon fermentor. Have a blow off tube installed for the first few days when the fermentation is most active. This will prevent pressure from building when the airlock gets plugged. A lot of beer can hit the ceiling when the pressure gets released when the airlock blows out.

Some yeast will be lost when krausen pushes through a blow off tube, but plenty of yeast remains to take care of the fermentation.

Removing some of the wort removed some of the fermentable sugars. This is the same as not including some of the fermentables in the boil kettle. The original gravity of the beer will be slightly reduced. I doubt if you will notice any difference though.

Dissolve your priming sugar in one cup of water when you are getting ready to rack to the bottling bucket. Adding more volume of priming solution may thin you beer to where it will be noticeable.

The yeast/trub layer will compact with time. You will get more beer in the bottle if you wait for the yeast/trub layer to compact. My beers are typically in the primary for three weeks before I consider bottling. A couple weeks longer doesn't hurt the quality of the beer.

Patience is key to good beer.

All is well. It's just a sign of a healthy, vigorous fermentation. You can rig up a blowoff tube if you have some tubing and a stopper. If not, just keep an eye on it and make sure the airlock doesn't clog. Really active fermentation shouldn't last more than a day or two. Next time, start with a blowoff tube and add a couple drops of Fermcap-S, which should help a lot.

Doing the same brew kit for this triple ale. For the container/bucket where the blow off tube is going to go (I do not have Fermcap-s) can I use non-rinse sanitizer in the water, or just tap water is OK without sanitizer?

Thanks,

Mk.

Doing the same brew kit for this triple ale. For the container/bucket where the blow off tube is going to go (I do not have Fermcap-s) can I use non-rinse sanitizer in the water, or just tap water is OK without sanitizer?

Thanks,

Mk.

I use a Starsan (non-rinse sanitizer) solution in my blow-off container in case any of it gets accidentally pulled back into the fermenting beer. You would rather have sanitizer go in there than your tap water.

Back