Yeast nutrient needed when altering water profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonacel

Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into researching how to tweak my water profile to fit the style I'm looking to brew. I tend to brew higher gravity beers and to date, I've added yeast nutrient. Does yeast nutrient become obsolete (or too big a hammer) if I'm tailoring my water profile, or should I focus on bumping up specific minerals instead for high gravity beers with a tailored profile?

Yeast nutrient is, by and large, a completely different kettle of fish than water treatment. If you're happy with how your yeast has been behaving pre-water tweaks, don't change your use of nutrient just because you are adding mineral salts.

Usually the only mineral, in the usual sense, that yeast nutrient supplies is zinc. Few brewers add zinc when doing water treatment for brewing. Other than zinc most of what the supplements supply is nitrogen (in the form of urea, ammonium or yeast hulls) and phosphorous (diammonium phosphate is a common ingredient).

Back