yeast numbers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burning2nd

Reaction score
ok... so im still way new and i always do things in my own groove after some time.. so walk me thur this short and sweet.

brewed octoberfest lager with wpl820 two 5g batches, took a first reading of

both started at 1.060 (and .082 (dnt know if this is meq over leters as in other readings)
sp/gr= specific gravity no?

one week later both are around .25-.19
carboy time?

I didnt have the cooler temp that i thought i was going to have (thanks global warmming) does this mean the yeast worked quick and burnt out (or will burn out if i dont go ahead?)

I know this isnt the scienctific way that the old heads and pro here are going to want to talk about this... but if i can run a thriving reef i sure as hell can make some beer with "ghetto dosing" sytle... :)

side note, hops is growing well,

So...let me get this straight.. You brewed two seperate beers and their gravities were 1.082 and 1.060? They're currently at 1.025 and 1.019 after a week?

If this is correct, then you need to let them sit for a few more weeks. Lager yeast takes a little longer to work. What were your temps at? These beers are definately not ready for secondary. Maybe the 1.019, but not the other. Give them another two weeks in primary and check the gravity again.

Latest posts

Back