Yeast Nap or Dirt Nap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilOtto

Reaction score
Just a quick one for the forum. I pitched yeast into my most recent batch of Porter. The temp was a bit higher than normal (27 C), but it took off like a monster. By 8 AM, pressure through my airlock was boring my carboy down towards the center of the earth. I looked at my temp and it was off the scale (high-end is 30 C) and I was worried that I might be pushing it a bit more than I wanted to, so I chucked it in my regulated chest freezer set at 24C. After about 2 hours, fermentation started slowing down significantly so I checked on the temp (it was about 25C), so I pulled it and stuck it back in my fermentation cubby hole. Within an hour, the fermentation that was going like gangbusters just stopped. I re-pitched, and it didn't take off again. I checked gravity and I've only gone from 1.060 to 1.040. I'm expecting something around 1.016, but I'm stalled....

A) Any thoughts on why a couple of degree drop over a couple of hours would so drastically affect my fermentation?

B) Any thoughts on what to do?

Hugs!

Otto

1. Did you check the gravity with a refractometer or a hydrometer?
2. How long since you pitched the yeast?
3. What yeast did you use?
4. What was the recipe you used?

To my mind that is a very large temperature swing for the yeast to undergo in a few hours. They got the signal to go dormant. I've heard you can lower the temp a degree F an hour or so.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

All of the temps you said are WAY too high for most yeast strains. At temps that high yeast produce a lot of weird esters and harsh fusel alcohols. Most yeasts should be kept in the range of 16C to 21C. Each specific yeast will give you a temp range and I generally stay in the middle to low end of that.

I'm interested to know if you checked it with a refractometer as well (those aren't accurate once fermentation begins) because at such a high temp and with so much activity it sounds like your fermentation should be done.

I did use a refractrometer. I'll do a hydrometer reading today. The yeast was Windsor. I can't believe it was finished. It was a little bit over 1 day. Even if the initial pitch went dormant, why would the repitch take off?

All of the temps you said are WAY too high for most yeast strains. At temps that high yeast produce a lot of weird esters and harsh fusel alcohols. Most yeasts should be kept in the range of 16C to 21C. Each specific yeast will give you a temp range and I generally stay in the middle to low end of that.

+1. Bad news. Your ferment temps are off the chart for Windsor (or any other non-saison ale yeast for that matter). Pitching and fermenting that hot is a sure-fire recipe for some serious nastiness. I'd not wish to drink that beer nor suffer the headache those fusels will cause.:drunk:

I'm confused. If you have a regulated chest freezer, why did you not use it to chill the wort to 16*C before pitching and then set it to 18-19*C to ferment?

Back