Yeast haze issue with BE-256?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Morris

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been using Safale BE-256 to brew a belgian blond and have been running into an issue with haze. Normally I wouldn't mind, but at times the amount of yeast present in the bottom of the bottle just seems absurd (I've measured around 0.5cm in height from the bottom in standard brown bottles). I don't have any pictures to share at the moment, but I can tell you this: if I didn't know this is supposed to be a belgian blond and saw this beer out there on its own, sitting in a glass trying to appeal to me, I would think it is an extremely cloudy NEIPA or something plain nasty. The funny thing is that although cloudy, the beer's flavor is always fine. It is just unappealing. This had never happened to me with my home brews or other styles of beer that use different yeast strains (I've used US-05 for instance and everything has been ok shortly after bottling -- yeast sediment was there but nothing like what I see with the belgian blond).

Although I am aware that I can use gelatin and/or cold crash my beer prior to bottling to help with suspended yeast, I was wondering if there might be something I might be doing wrong or causing this supposedly highly flocculant strain to remain in suspension for so long. I've also been inclined to think maybe the haze is caused by something else, but given that the longer the beer sits in the bottle, the clearer it becomes and more yeast I get at the bottom, it seems to me this might be a dead giveaway.

During my brewing process, I keep beer in the fermenter for two weeks and ferment at 18C and slowly bring it up to 20C through the last week of fermentation to help with the diacetyl. Then I bottle at RT (around 24C) and prime in bottles in a room with AC set at 18C.

I do have the same issue. I brewed a tripel back in september and it's still slightly hazy. Tastewise, it's not the best yeast for this style: I've been disappointed with the lack of phenols it imparts, although it may still improve as the beer clears...if that's possible.

Back