yeast for smooth nut brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
i have a smooth nut brown i plan to brew this weekend. ihave US 05, US 04, 1056 and wyeast irish ale on hand. which will work best i thought i read somewhere that irish ale works well in a brown ale. what do you guys use in your brown ales?

I've used 1099, 1028 and Notty. I liked Notty the best. IMO, for a clean flavor profile, use either '05 or 1056.

Smoothness has more to do with your grain bill than the yeast. The 1056 and US-05 are clean (their both the same strand) so they will let the malt profile shine. The S-04 or wyeast 1099 are english yeast so they will have more character. It depends on what you're aiming for. If you want to do newcastle brown ale (which I consider to be very smooth), then I'd go with the Whitbread or S-04. Irish ale yeast is claimed to do "well" in dark wort but who knows what that means. From it's description, it sounds like a versatile yeast. Clean at low temps, flavorful at higher temps. You can look at the wyeast website. They discuss three brown ale styles (southern english, northern english and american brown ale) and suggest 4-5 yeast strands for each of them. Maybe that will help you decide.

Southern English Brown Ale
Northern English Brown Ale
American Brown Ale

EDIT: To add my 2 cents, I'd go with S-04 as a personal choice.

Notty. My nut brown has won awards, and notty is the difference between "this is nice" and "oh my god I could live off of this" flavor profiles.

A professional taster for Miller told me that the nut brown was literally the best beer she had ever drank.

That particular batch I pitched old yeast, it went through a really lousy fermentation, and came out tasting buttery. Really buttery. So I bottled it and forgot about it for 3 months and when I opened it again it was divine. I called it an "unassuming" beer, because it was a 5.4% abv yet tasted like a 2-3% abv.

I've noticed that beers made with notty benefit from longer-than-usual aging. I went through a period where I only really brewed english ales, and I noticed a distinct different in aging with notty vs liquid yeast. The beer tends to come together after 2 months or so with notty.

Not one of the yeasts listed, but you asked what everyone uses. WLP002. Great yeast that really lets the malt come through. Drops crystal clear very fast. Almost looks like its filtered.

I've used 1099, 1028 and Notty. I liked Notty the best. IMO, for a clean flavor profile, use either '05 or 1056.

+1 nottingham fermented cool makes a great, clean, brown ale. Leave it in primary for 3 weeks at 62-65 degrees and you will have an ultra clear, ultra clean and well attenuated nut brown.

If you are doing a southern style, malt foward brown ale.....add a little pure maple syrup if you want get crazy with it.

Notty. My nut brown has won awards, and notty is the difference between "this is nice" and "oh my god I could live off of this" flavor profiles.

A professional taster for Miller told me that the nut brown was literally the best beer she had ever drank.

That particular batch I pitched old yeast, it went through a really lousy fermentation, and came out tasting buttery. Really buttery. So I bottled it and forgot about it for 3 months and when I opened it again it was divine. I called it an "unassuming" beer, because it was a 5.4% abv yet tasted like a 2-3% abv.

I've noticed that beers made with notty benefit from longer-than-usual aging. I went through a period where I only really brewed english ales, and I noticed a distinct different in aging with notty vs liquid yeast. The beer tends to come together after 2 months or so with notty.

Care to share this recipe?

Latest posts

Back