Yeast for small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sross

Reaction score
I am planning on making smaller batches that will be around 2 gallons instead of 5 which i usually do. I am not very knowledgable about yeast and am wondering how to measure out the correct amount of yeast for the small 2 gallon batches. I have no idea where to begin. I am used to just dropping a pack of Wyeast so pardon my ignorance on the subject.

Check out the yeast pitching rate calculator on mrmalty.com

It will tell you exactly how much yeast to use based on yeast viability(based on date of package), volume, and gravity.

Good luck, are these small test batches or do you just want more variety?

i want to make more test batches and also more variety. if i screw up a beer i don't have to throw out 5 gallons of beer which would be nice. i also can use my small cooler as a mash ton and boil the small batch on an electric stove in a pot.

I regularly make 1 gallon batches and use Mr Malty or Beersmith to calculate yeast volumes. I measure out what I need in a sanitized measuring cup and pour the rest in a sanitized jar for future use.

It's nice to be able to brew more styles of beer and they can be made much faster.

Suppose you want to make a 2 gallon (approx 8 litre) batch of a 1.050 ale. You might need 0.75 million cells per millilitre per degree plato. So 750,000 x 8,000 x 12.5 = 75 billion cells. A smack-pack has 100 billion cells. So if it was produced the same day you want to pitch it, you are over pitching. So make 2.5 gallons (10 litres) instead of 2 gallons. Or what if your smack pack is a month old? Now you only have 76 billion cells anyway, which is perfect for your 2 gallons of 1.050 ale.

So having "too much" yeast in a Wyeast pack for small batches is unlikely to be a problem. Much more likely is that you weren't using optimal amounts of yeast for your 5 gallon batches--which is why most serious brewers use starters, dry yeast, or slurry.

I was thinking the same thing. A smack pack should put you about where you need to be for a half batch.

It is very likely that you have been underpitching but that all depends on the original gravity of your beer. Using a yeast pitching calculator will help you with this and when needed suggest a starter size. Mr. Malty is a very approchable calculator that should help you with this.

GhettoDickens said:
How serious is over pitching if mr malty is saying 3/4 smackpack and you pitch a full smackpack?
I don't think there's any disadvantage to 'over pitching'. Even a full dry packet is still quite a bit below the number of cells that will be reached during the adaptive phase. It's just a slight waste, that's all.

I've read that over pitching can lead to a slight muddling of flavors instead of crisp distinct hop or malt flavor. Is that horrible? Probably not. And I have no idea how much over pitching that takes.

Back