Yeast for Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shambolic

Reaction score
I have really only brewed ales in the past, so please bear that in mind...

I'd like to have my first crack at a Pilsner while the weather is cool. The only problem is, I don't have the facilities to lager. I should be able to keep the temp. at about 15 degrees Celcius (about 60 Fahrenheit), but no lower. As far as I can tell, this leaves me with two options:

- Use a lager yeast anyway, and hope for the best (any tips would be appreciated)
- Use a clean, dry ale yeast instead (Safale US-56), and ferment at the same temp.

I know that neither is ideal for a genuine pilsner, but which would be better?
The recipe will be pretty standard; something like:

- 2.5kg light DME
- 500g dextrose
- 500g pale/pilsner malt (mini-mash)
- 50g Saaz hops (~1.5 oz.), half for bittering, half for flavour

Any general pilsner tips would also be appreciated. I'd like it to be as close as possible to the flavour of Pilsner Urquell, considering the dodgy process I'll be using :D

where the hell is it cool? Australia...oops nevermind!

Id use the lager yeast. apparently a 'dirty' lager will taste more like a lager then a clean ale. Thers a good article about making Vienna Lagers in the jan 06 BYO, they recomend using a big starter and aerate well to keep the ester level low, fermenting on the high end will cause esters, so you want to minimize other reaons for that. Just make the pilsner and do your best.
The only thing though is that (i think) Pilsner Urquel is known for fermenting really low, like 45F with no diacetyl rest, just really long lagering. It might not taste just like it, but im sure it will be potable.

Back