Yeast for Imperial Mayan Chocolate Chipotle Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
So I'm planning my next brew in a few weeks. The recipe is worked out except for the yeast. Going for a 1.12 OG with a stout and adding chipotle and chocolate and corn adjunct. My notion is to bottle this and drink at the end of year at the end of the Mayan calander on Dec 21. I figure to be it's best this one will need some time to age a little.

I am having a tough time settling on a yeast and would love some opinions. My first thought was WLP001 or S05, then I though maybe WLP500. Would clearly be different beers.

Thoughts? Suggestions? maybe a WLP007?

share the recipe? sounds great. Im no yeast expert, but i think the 001 or s05 (same strain i believe) would be cleaner and maybe let the chocolate and chipotle come through better than the 500. Might be too much happening if you end up getting some banana or something from the 500.

If I may be a dissenter, I used London ESB #1968 in my Spiced Coffee Stout, and loved it. Ferments quickly, 9% ABV tolerance, and leaves a nice balance of maltiness and a not-at-all cloying sweetness. To me, that would be perfect in anything with chocolate.

That being said, S04/S05 (I think they're pretty close) are really quite good. People don't give dry yeast enough credit - they're very versatile.

That's almost exactly what I brewed a few weeks ago. I also used honey. I was going to use American Ale yeast, but I didn't have any, so I used WLP007 like I do with most of my stouts.

I brewed a chocolate chipolte stout last year. I used S05, it worked out pretty well.

One word of advice if you haven't brewed a chili beer.....soak the chilis in everclear so that you don't risk infection. Also be careful about the amount of chili. What tastes good at the time of addition, will be too much at time of drinking. :eek:

I still have 4 gallons of a 5 gallon batch because of this.

One year later it is just mellowing out to the perfect heat to flavor ratio.:rockin:

Back