Yeast for Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deranged_hermit

Reaction score
just a quick noob quesiton on yeast varieties. if a beer kit has different selections of yeast (ie Austin Hombrew Supplies offering 3 or 4 different kinds of yeast like dry, Wyeast, and Whitelabs). is it safe to assumet that if one of the types of yeast is an ale yeast, that all the types of yeast are ale yeasts? i can only brew ales because i don't have a refrigerated fermenter for lagers. and i am interested in brewing a German Wheat beer. The beer has the option for a WL Hefe Ale yeast, or a Wyeast BavarianWheat Activator. Is that Wyeast strain an Ale yeast that ferments at room temperature?

The White Labs Hefe and Wyeast Bavarian Wheat should be the same or similiar strains. The Wyeast is probably 3638 Bavarian Ale, and the White Labs is the #WLP300 Hefeweizen...those two are interchangeable.

In general, ale yeasts work best around 70F. There are very few dry lager yeasts and you should be able to check a specific yeast out at the manufacturer's website.

Hefeweizen Ale
(WLP300)
This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.
Attenuation: 72-76; Flocculation: Low; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 68-72

deranged_hermit said:
just a quick noob quesiton on yeast varieties. if a beer kit has different selections of yeast (ie Austin Hombrew Supplies offering 3 or 4 different kinds of yeast like dry, Wyeast, and Whitelabs). is it safe to assumet that if one of the types of yeast is an ale yeast, that all the types of yeast are ale yeasts? i can only brew ales because i don't have a refrigerated fermenter for lagers. and i am interested in brewing a German Wheat beer. The beer has the option for a WL Hefe Ale yeast, or a Wyeast BavarianWheat Activator. Is that Wyeast strain an Ale yeast that ferments at room temperature?

Yes, if the beer listed is an ale, it's safe to assume that it will come with an ale yeast. Same for lagers.....they should all come with a lager yeast.

Back