Yeast fermentation schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlevings12

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Saison using 3711. After reading all the reviews, it seemed like an excellent yeast for what I wanted. I pitched at 1.068 and three days later it's at 1.038. BeerSmith estimated a FG of 1.009, and its only been three days. However, I'm curious as to if I'm, for lack of a better term, on track to hit my target. I can't find anything related to people charting fermentation over time. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions ( other that to RDWHAHB)?

3711 is a beast and it WILL finish out pretty dry unless you mashed way high or added a bunch of unfermentables. Advice, leave it alone for 2 weeks, RDWHAHB!

There may be average ranges for progressive attenuation, but it's likely to be individual for each fermentation depending on many factors. Keep it warm and happy and it will get there sooner than later.

^that. And, refractometers require correction calculators to give a FG that's even remotely close to actual.

See here, Part II: http://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

I use a hydrometer as that is the only thing I have. Additionally what this has to do with tracking gravity over time, I'm not sure. In any case, thanks everyone for the responses. Seems my initial though is probably accurate: there isn't really anything out there. Cheers.

Yeast are not mechanical. You can try to predict your fermentation time, but biological systems march to nature's tune. Just be patient and let it finish. You'll more than likely go below 1.009 with 3711. I don't think I have ever had that yeast finish above 1.002 for all grain recipes. I typically leave my saisons for at least 21 days before I even look at them.

I definitely understand the biological concept. I work in the healthcare field, and while every patient is different, we do look for population trends as a way to benchmark data. That's all I was referring to. I just like to nerd out on data and track stuff that no one else necessarily cares about. [emoji1]

You should check out the Beer Bug! It will track gravity of fermentation every minute and you can access the data on the app or website

I recently brewed a Saison using 3711. After reading all the reviews, it seemed like an excellent yeast for what I wanted. I pitched at 1.068 and three days later it's at 1.038. BeerSmith estimated a FG of 1.009, and its only been three days. However, I'm curious as to if I'm, for lack of a better term, on track to hit my target. I can't find anything related to people charting fermentation over time. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions ( other that to RDWHAHB)?

I used this on a saison last year and after about 5 days I moved the carboy into our laundry room where it hit 80 deg part of the reason was to try to get more ester production but also to help it finish out. Fg on that beer was 1.002, warm it up, let it go and it'll finish no prob.

I used this on a saison last year and after about 5 days I moved the carboy into our laundry room where it hit 80 deg part of the reason was to try to get more ester production but also to help it finish out. Fg on that beer was 1.002, warm it up, let it go and it'll finish no prob.

Mine is in our storage room next to the furnace. Temp probe on the outside of the carboy reads consistent 75F, so I'm guessing it's close to that. Might try to find a warmer spot. Maybe I should invest in a submersible temp probe before worrying about tracking temps.

So here I am again. After 5 days the gravity has dropped from 1.068 to 1.024, so we are looking good. Here's my question now. The Wyeast website cites a temperature range for this guy at 65 - 77, yet everything I read from people talks about trying to get up to 80. So I ask, what gives? Just curious.

To maximize attenuation and make sure you end up with a dry saison. I tend to control temps at the very beginning, allowing it to ramp naturally from 66 to 72-74 and then hold there until fermentation starts to slow down because I don't want crazy ester production or fusel alcohol. Then I ramp slowly, 1-2°/day until it's in the high 70s low 80s

Thanks TANSTAAFB. I HIT THE MID 70s at day 3 and the upper 70s by day 5. Hopefully I don't have the fusel alcohol issue. Lesson learned though, perhaps next time I'll slow down the temperature ramp a bit. Thanks for the insight.

Well, you all were right. Day 8 and we are at 1.008 and the airlock is still bubbling every 15 seconds or so. I think this guy will turn out real nice. Any guidance on how to look for /detect fusel alcohols would be much appreciated. I've heard of people getting a splitting headache like almost instantly, which seems a bit extreme. Any suggestions? Thanks as always.

Beersmith has a spot to input gravity readings with date and time. I've considered doing daily checks or once every three or four days but haven't seen a need. It might help to setup a more consistent, or faster, fermentation profile but I'm not too worried about it. Previously brewers just let it go for a week before racking to a keg, bottling or adding secondary into their process. I would only track gravity more often if I was curious about a specific yeast's performance if I think it has changed over time.

Day 10 and I'm down to 1.004 ( 8.3%ABV calculated). Should I crash this? Can a Saison FG get too low? Will it be too dry?

If it hits 1.004 again at 72 hours your done. Back to back stable gravity is what your looking for now.

Thank guys. I guess I was just curious about people's thoughts on cold crashing prior to terminal gravity if there are times when anyone has chosen to do so ( to maintain body, not make an overly boozy beer, etc). Thanks though for all the input.

I wouldn't know because once a brew is in the fermenter, oxygenated, yeast pitched, and in the fridge it doesn't get touched for at least 2 weeks. No gravity checks until it's finished and I get whatever I get from the process. But I control the process so I know that if I mashed in the appropriate range for the style I'm brewing, pitched enough healthy yeast, and created a nice cozy environment (nutrients, oxygen, temp control, food) the yeastie beasties always throw a big party and then clean up after themselves!

I wouldn't know because once a brew is in the fermenter, oxygenated, yeast pitched, and in the fridge it doesn't get touched for at least 2 weeks. No gravity checks until it's finished and I get whatever I get from the process. But I control the process so I know that if I mashed in the appropriate range for the style I'm brewing, pitched enough healthy yeast, and created a nice cozy environment (nutrients, oxygen, temp control, food) the yeastie beasties always throw a big party and then clean up after themselves!

[emoji106][emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

Waiting on this to carb up in the kegerator. Tasted it yesterday...probably the best brew I've made to date. Thanks for all the feedback.

Latest posts

Back