Yeast Exepriment With two track malt, kveik, belgian yeast, and brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Althozgraz

Reaction score
This weekend I decided to do a 10 gallon batch made up entirely of two track malt from Bismarch North Dakota, and fermented with a yeast experiment I plan on using as a special house blend. The yeast was a combination of the voss strain, framgarden, hornindal, imperial yeast b45 gnome, and omega yeast c2c american farmhouse which has a brett strain incorporated into it. Individual yeast startes were made with each strain then combined into one large starter (about 1.5 liters total and 400 ML of yeast slurry). The brew day went very well. Mashed in with 35.75 lbs of malt in my 15.5 gallon mash tun at 161 and it fell to 142 post mash in and held for 20 minutes. mash was then slowly brought up to 148 and held for 30 minutes, then raised to 155 and let cool down to 152 over about 45 minutes. I then mashed out at 171 for 15 minutes. Very long mash but it worked and I got great efficiency and my pre boil gravity of 1070 was met after sparging. boil was done for 1 hour 15 minutes yielding about 11.5 gallons of 1083 wort,cooled and transfered to 6.5 gallon fermenters. The wort was then aerated and at 77 degrees the yeast was pitched and the carboys were put in my fermentation chamber and temp was held at a range of 73-78. within 1 hour I already had significant airlock activity and by bed time I had to put blow off hoses on the fermenters. the next morning the entire garage where they were fermenting smelled like banana bread and temp had raised to about 82 so I lowered my fermentation chamber down to 72. beers are now sitting at 75 degrees stable and slowing down. I cant wait to taste these beers. I'll post an update on results if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back