Yeast Double Pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurntOrngeLonghorn84

Reaction score
So I'm wanting to order the AHS Winter IPA. It will be my second brew day.

Question: Should I order the yeast double pitching option, or just try one until I see it's a stuck fermentation?

Since I'm still new at this, I'm leaning towards the double pitching because I like easy. However, I'd like some weigh in on the likeliness of stuck fermentation.

what kind of yeast will you be using? you can just pitch one, but then you can get into underpitching problems, one of which COULD be stalled fermentation, but if you give them the right conditions, it will likely ferment out anyway... you could also get some off flavors if the underpitch is significant. what is your anticipated OG? let's find that out, then we can see exactly how much yeast you should have and go from there.

Do you know what the SG is for that recipe? What yeast are you using? It depends on the SG primarily. If it's above 1.050 I would consider either making a starter (cheaper) or double pitching. You eventually will get to the point where making a starter is needed for the beers you are making. This may be a good time to start. To add the yeast when a fermentation is stuck is not nearly as effective and dosen't correct the mistakes that have already been done with underpitching. The third alternative would be to use dry yeast if possible.

Edit: Anroid beat me with the post but you can see how the advice and questions we ask are the same.

Target OG is 1.066, which is above the 1.060 point that they suggest double pitching.

I was going to go with the Wyeast Greenbelt yeast.

I would either double pitch or make a starter. My vote is to make a starter unless you are unsure with your sanitation or if you really don't have the time. Double pitch if you are pressed for time and don't want to use dry yeast.

Back