Yeast confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastFeast

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making my second ever brew batch today. It's a Brewers Best kit (Oatmeal Stout). The Brewer's Best directions clearly state "DO NOT REHYDRATE" the yeast and to sprinkle the contents over the wort surface. Yet the Windsor 'British style beer yeast' says to rehydrate before use right on the package??

Which way to you recommend doing it?

Thanks for your advice!

When the yeast manufacturer's instructions conflict with the kit instructions, always go with the yeast instructions. Rehydrating dry yeast is usually a good idea. I suspect the kits tell you not to do it because it is an opportunity for infection. Just be careful; use a sanitized container with a sanitized lid (foil is fine) to rehydrate the yeast, and don't go too high on the water temp. Keep it below 110F.

Rehydration should give you twice as many living yeast cells as just sprinkling the yeast directly into the fermenter. I've done it both ways. Usually rehydration will get your ferment started sooner because there are more yeast cells to start with.

Rehydrate with water that is 80°, + or - 6° . Active dry bread yeast is activated in hot water, 105° to 110°, because of the sugar added to the solution. Bread yeast is doughed in at high krausen.

Probably won't find some of those terms used in a bread book, but this is a brewing forum.

Do what it says on the packet, most that I use (a core of about seven different yeasts) all say sprinkle on to wort , only one says rehydrate.
Indeed some tell you not to rehydrate !

We ain't making bread Flars .

I've never re-hydrated my yeast, and I've never had a problem. It's probably easier on the little buggers if you do rehydrate them, but unless you're making a 10%+ beer, I don't think it's necessary.

Back