Yeast coagulate floating on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBalls

Reaction score
about 10 days in the primary fermentor, I opened it up to stir in some gelatin and I saw what seemed to be yeast clumps floating on top. There were some hops in these clumps as well. They broke apart when I stirred in the gelatin. Will this settle in a few days with the gelatin? will it continue to float back up? is everything fine?

OG 1.052
SG 1.020 (today)

It might settle, might not. I've had beers fermenting for months that still had krausen floating on top. Don't worry too much about it. When you hit your final gravity, bottle it and don't suck that stuff up.

10 days to add finings is rushing the beer in my opinion. With a FG of 1.020, it might not even have been done. Oh, well, if you've added it, you've added it.

Most of the yeast clumps will fall to the bottom. For the ones that don't, just racking around them works fine. If you have that black tip on the bottom of your siphon, it helps from sucking up the bigger ones.

i read on these forums that you add gelatin typically 3-4 days before bottling and that you can't really add the gelatin "too early"

is that right?

i read on these forums that you add gelatin typically 3-4 days before bottling and that you can't really add the gelatin "too early"

is that right?

Well, if it's not done fermenting, then adding gelatin will only serve to help stall it.

I have never used gelatin in any of my beers, though. You only need it if you need help clearing the beer, after it's done fermenting and ready to bottle. With a FG of 1.020, you may not be done fermenting, let alone ready to bottle.

Back