Yeast cake without washing life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I kegged a batch last Saturday and didn't have time to wash the yeast. I dumped the whole cake into a gallon water jug and it's been sitting in my refrigerator since. I plan on washing it this weekend. Is there a problem with this? Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Why not leave it like it is? If there's not a whole bunch of hop trub there, it'll do fine sitting there in the cold covered in beer.

You'll be fine for a few weeks, at least.

I'm even lazier than you (no offense meant whatsoever), I just leave the yeast in the fermenter and add fresh wort on top of it up to a few weeks later. It's always fine if kept around 60 degrees or lower.

I suppose I could take a fermentor leave it in the nearly freezing garage for a few days, warm it up and pitch straight into the new batch? However, if one is to pour it off into a container and keep it in the fridge, should it be put on fresh low gravity wort or finished beer from the current batch? I imagine low gravity wort would might still ferment even at low temps requiring the release of pressure from the container, however it seems like any fermentation of ale yeast at fridge temps would be yucky for lack of a better term. Have I answered my own question? Leave it on some finished beer? I've read all about washing with boiled water and its counterarguments here on HBT and I don't think I'll be going that route. I'd like to start re-pitching at least a little with slurry to save some time and money, but it makes me a little nervous when I'm having great success building fresh starters for my 10 gallon batches.

Thanks for the tips!

I mixed some water with it and shook it to prepare it to separate... but I got busy and I know I wont have a chance to finish it up until Saturday. So, right now it is the yeast cake and some brownish water on top, am I still cool? Thanks.

Back