Yeast cake viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelmore

Reaction score
I made 5 gal of a 1.050 beer using Wyeast's 3787 Trappist High Gravity. It turned out great (I love this strain) but I was mostly making it as a big yeast starter for a barley wine I want to make. Last weekend, I racked off all but about a half inch of the beer above the yeast cake, intending to brew the next day. However, life intervened and I didn't get to it. It's been sitting in my basement with the airlock still on it, at about 60 degrees for a week.

So, a week later, my question is whether this yeast cake can still be used. My worries are that it may have:
1. Lost viability over the week. I've found other threads stating that unwashed/unrefrigerated yeast loses 25% viability in a week.
2. Autolysis flavors- since removing the bulk of the liquid on this cake, has the resulting smaller amount become concentrated with off flavors from the decomposing yeast that would transmit to the new beer?
3. Oxygenation of the beer. With no fermentation going on, there has been no blanket of CO2 over the top of this beer for a week. Added to that, the surface area at the bottom of the carboy is much larger than at the tapered neck up at the top. I was careful to replace the airlock as soon as I was done transferring but doubtless the "empty" space has been filled with oxygen this week rather than CO2.
4. Possible contamination from the racking cane/opening the carboy. No matter how sanitary we are (I use a stainless racking cane and star san), there are doubtless still some bacteria introduced when the cane is placed in the beer. This isn't a big deal on a normal basis but after a week, what might have reproduced in my small liquid sample? Can I count on the inside of my carboy still being "sterile" even though I opened the airlock and immersed a (sterilized) racking cane?

IMG_0702.jpg

All good points. You would need to take a look under a microscope to know for sure. If you made a starter with part of the cake you could take care of a few of your bullets, but that defeats the point of making one batch as a starter for the next. :-(

Viability is a wild card. I've looked at yeast from bottles that are about a month old and seen about 50% viability, but never looked at a week old cake that wasn't refrigerated.

Autolysis I could see being a real problem especially if viability is low.

Oxygenation I wouldn't worry about. At this point it will cause buds to drop off yeast cells prematurely, which can be mutant yeast, but the flavor component will be very small.

Contamination shouldn't be much of an issue. You've still got the same high alcohol environment, and it's the same contamination level as you now have in your bottles. If your beer ages well, then your yeast is probably clean.

Thanks, Woodland. I have a scope, though I'm not exactly sure what I would be looking for. I have a memory (good old high school biology) of what budding yeast look like. Is it the proportion of budding to non-budding cells that is important here or something else?

I have some pictures on my blog here:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/amscope-binocular-compound-microscope.html

this is an unusually large bacteria, but you can see the shape:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-x0grFKTHEsA/UKt-0Q3Gd-I/AAAAAAAAAPY/htRlTOw0d84/s1600/cover2.png

These are at 400x (10x eyepiece with 40x objective)

Yeast cells will be round, and the bacteria are typically much smaller and sausage shaped. Very small round moving partials are also likely bacteria, but it is normal to see a little moment of small partials from Brownian motion. If you count one bacteria for every hundred yeast cells you are probably good.

Just confirmed, sadly, that the microscope is broken. Kids tell me that it was an "accident". I'm going to have a beer now.

Back