Yeast cake as a yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krumb

Reaction score
I've found just a couple of posts that discuss this process. But there really isn't much more information (that I could find) available when it comes to doing this. i.e. how much, when during the boil, possible worries do so, etc.

I recently brewing an Oktoberfest. I pitched some of an older yeast cake into the boil around the 15 minute mark. I had a pretty strong fermentation initially (strong for a lager), but has since settled down. Gravity testing tastings appear fine.

Just curious as to other's results. Good, bad?

Though I have never done this, a friend of mine did it with some dried yeast. He just put half of the packet into the boil. Beer came out fine.

Bump will hopefully help more.

Surely others have some experience with this...or maybe not, hence the lack in information via a forum search.

My main concern is with regards to what is too much...could too much yield off flavors...etc...

Thing is, when using nutrient, I get a helluva fermentation...and with this lager, I almost needed a blowoff (which is unheard of with a lager, so I've read).

Just add a tablespoon or so and you should be okay. Yeast nutrient is so cheap though? Why not just buy some and have it on hand, a ot easier no?

Back