Yeast bed over the spigot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryant19

Reaction score
I have a Mr. Beer set, and this will be my first batch. I'm ready to begin bottling, but my problem is that the yeast is built up around the tap. Is this a common problem, what do you do. I was thinking about siphoning from the top with a sterilized rubber hose into the bottles. Thanks.

Tricks to avoid blocking the spigot with trub :

- Tilt the LBK with a book or a few DVD cases during fermentation so that the trub settles at the opposite end of the spigot.
- Place your LBK in your refrigerator for a day or two before bottling ("cold crashing")
- If you dry hop, place your hops in a bag instead of going commando-style.

So to take a hydrometer reading, could I take a reading with yeast in the test tube or waste some until it clears to get a proper reading.

Yeast shouldn't affect the reading at all though, other than maybe making it harder to physically see the hydrometer reading. They won't affect the gravity that the hydrometer measures though.

Yeast shouldn't affect the reading at all though, other than maybe making it harder to physically see the hydrometer reading. They won't affect the gravity that the hydrometer measures though.

The haze would be my only concern, but you should be taking the reading on the hydro from the line at the top of the liquid anyway.

Back