Yeast aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinRae

Reaction score
A couple of the meads I've done have had a yeasty aftertaste. Not sure if other ppl can pick it up but I can. I def rack and give weeks/months in between rackings. For the 2 that I noticed I used 1118. Is this a clearing prob? Both were pretty clear. Any feedback please!

If bottled in clear bottles, could you read a newspaper through the bottle? I know some people's idea of clear may not be what others consider clear.

how long did it sit on the lees before racking secondary or into the bottles?

how long did it sit on the lees before racking secondary or into the bottles?

That's what I was wondering. I've noticed a strong yeast character in ciders, meads, and wines (and beer, too) when they sat on the lees for a lengthy time.

I know that some people don't rack even the first time until the mead is clear, but I always rack whenever I have lees 1/4" thick, or after 45-60 days if there are any lees at all. I like the "clean" flavor from not ever aging on the lees.

Ok I've looked at my notes -

For the wildflower mead I bottled that had a yeast aftertaste (most recent one)

1) I made a mistake with the yeast type I actually used 71b-1122..however the other mead I made last year was made with ec1118.

2) Started Apr 12/13 - racked to secondary at May 7

3) Sept 12 bottled - if I did rack in between there's no notes of it. There was barely any lees in it - at the very most a 1/4 inch probably less.

So maybe I should of insured there was no lees period?

The first mead I made that had a yeasty aftertaste was a sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry...this one was made with EC1118 and was racked 4 times all about 30 days apart. With this one I bottle carbonated with adding honey before bottling. Maybe this made more yeast ?

Back