Yazoo Sue Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone made a Yazoo Sue Clone? SWMBO wants me to make this and I found a recipe online from someone who sounds like they knew what they were talking about and claims it is very close to the actual product. I was wondering if anyone thinks this recipe will work or if there are some adjustments I should make.

The Yazoo website give this description and specifications for their "Sue":

Sue is a big, rich, smoky malt bomb of a beer, with mellow smokiness coming from barley malts smoked with cherrywood, and assertive bitterness from Galena and Perle hops to cleanse the finish.

OG: 21.0 Plato
FG: 4.7 Plato
IBUs: 72
SRM: 38.8

9.2% ABV

And here is the recipe I found. (This is adjusted for a 3 gal batch. I'll be doing BIAB):

7.25 lb Pale Malt 2-Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 68.12 %
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.23 %
1 lb Cherry Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.21 %
.625 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 5.74 %
.5 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.78 %
.09 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.92 %

1.032 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 57.8 IBU
0.792 oz Perle [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 14.2 IBU

1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.094 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.024 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.22 %
Bitterness: 72.0 IBU
Est Color: 38.8 SRM 5.4

I guess the first obvious thing I can change is switch the Nugget hops for Galena as that's what the real Sue uses. Anything else I should change? Should this end up close to the same?

*edit: After plugging this into Brewer's Friend the IBU was around 95. If I adjusted to .85 Galena (60 min) and .55 Perle (30 min) that makes a perfect 72 IBU estimate.

Last edited:
Hi, SB. I don't know Yazoo Clone, so can't say how close this will come to it. I find cloning is always hard, because you have to adjust for stuff like fermenter geometry, how the brewer handles yeast and pitching, etc. Its more of a trial and error thing. But, I like that recipe a lot - bitter and smokey isn't a combination I've tried much before, but I think I would like it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Back