Yaaaaaaay! 1st batch bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djstaticburn

Reaction score
So, I bottled my first batch of beer last night. A Munton's bock. Tasted really nice, can't wait till dec 5th when i get to actually try it.

My next batch is going to be a Cooper's Irish Stout, thinking about doing to LME's and dry hopping instead of using dextrose. When I rack it to the Secondary, I am thinking I am going to rack it onto 1lb. of Cocoa Nibs and a whole can of cherries in syrup. I know ferm will start back up like it assploded due to the sugar content, but I can't help myself I've become fascinated with the methods and when to use those methods to impart or modify flavor profiles with brewing.

#addicted4life

There's two philosophies:
1. Don't start messing with recipes until you have your process down pat and can tell what a change will do to the final product.
2. Go ahead and experiment, because how else are you going to learn.
Me, I was all over #2, and did some crazy s**t the first year into this obsession. But, I did learn plenty, only had 2 dumpers(and I waited a good 6 months on each before giving up on them) and now know several things to NOT do ever again.
Since then, I have been finetuning my palate, and working on recipes that will eventually become my standards. And having a lot of fun!
So, I say go ahead and experiment. But keep real good notes on everything so that you'll know how to replicate the good, and avoid the bad. After all, practice makes perfect! :mug:
Oh- and spend way too much time on this and other forums. Lots of great people and great advice. Good luck!

Stouts aren't usually dry hopped, but the cocoa & cherries sound good. Might need more cheries than you think to even taste it.

Yea i was talking to the owner at my local LHBS (luckily like 5 min from my front door) and he suggested i think it was 3.5-5 lb can, he said other wise it would be difficult to taste the flavor. Ah! I was unaware that stouts arent a brew you typically wouldnt dry hop, thx. @ Jim, funny my names Jim too, and o ya on being on this forum. I do tech support for a living. A window with this forum is ALWAYS open. Like no kidding i open it as I am opening all the apps I use daily.

Jim

Congrats and here's to hoping for many more. Now time to start another. If you used up your supply of bottles, time to acquire more(also known as research).
I started a year ago and found that eventually you need at least 4 batches in various stages of fermenting/conditioning or more research needed.

Sooooooooooo, yea! I couldn't help myself today and popped the top on one of my bottles of bock, (its been in six days) and........... damn! I cannot wait to get to chill this and taste it proper, so gooooooood! :)

Back