Y8610U pilot stays on with no power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven’t brewed in about 2 years, and I am trying to finish a brew stand that I have been building over the last year.

I am having major problems with the valve. I have tried searching for a similar issue, but I didn’t find the answer, so I need your help. I have the Honeywell y8610u valve system and am having some pilot issues. When I turned it on for the first time, it worked fine. The spark started, the pilot started, and then the burner fired normally. The problem is, when I turned the power off, the pilot valve stays on until I shut the gas off. When I turn the gas back on, the gas to the pilot is flowing with no power to the valve. Even when I turn the switch off on the valve, the pilot gas still flows. I have fooled with this for several days. I would really appreciate the help with this if anyone has advice.

I will also note that I tried using the Honeywell smart valve(SV9501M2528) and the same issue happened. When I called the retailer, they said it was defective and sent me another one. With the new, the exact same thing, so I decided to go with the y8610u. I am starting to think that maybe I am doing something wrong. Could it be a ground issue maybe? I am not very good with electrical, but it must be wired correctly since it does fire up when I turn the power on.

Thank you in advance for any help with this most frustrating issue.

I ran a ground from the valve to the burner and still same result. The pilot tube should be ample grounding anyways. I am getting four flashes on the controller, indicating that the flame sense is out of tune or something. When I turn the power and gas off and restart, it lights up fine the first time, again with the pilot light still having gas flowing. Could it be something in my wiring causing this issue with three different valves?

which way are you running the gas through the valve? I'm having the same problem and noticed the manual indicates an inlet and outlet. Haven't tried turning mine around yet but that's my guess.

Back