Wyeast to White Labs mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atbrown

Reaction score
I am brewing an IPA that I've made a few times in the past, but I currently moved to Arizona from Alaska. When I went to my local homebrew supplier, I discovered that they had White Labs instead of the Wyeast I have previously used. Since I hadn't gone online to find an equivalent myself, I asked the owner what would be a good substitute for Wyeast American Ale 1272 and he gave me a vile of White Labs. Now that I'm back home and my grains are steeping as I write this, I looked at the vile and it happens to be a Hefeweizen Ale yeast (White Labs WLP 300). What I can find online tells me this give me a completely different taste than what I'm looking for. The LHBS is an hour away and I don't feel like making the trip again today. Do you think I can continue with my brew process and just let the wort sit in the fermenter with an airlock on until I can pitch the correct yeast tomorrow or Sunday, or should I just cut my losses and dump the grains I have steeping and rebrew when I get the correct yeast?

Thanks!

If everything was sanitized well either put some sanitized foil over the top of the carboy, or the airlock and you should be fine to wait a day or two to pitch. I know a few people who take their wort when it's still fairly hot, seal it up, and let it cool naturally overnight and they've never had issues with it.

I'd take it as a sign that, one you are meant to experiment and brew a different kind of IPA with a hefe twist. Sounds like fun. Two that you need to rely on yourself and double check everything your LHBS guy tells or gives you.

Banana/Clove and IPA hops bill sounds pretty nasty.

Your wort should hold up fine assuming your sanitation is solid.

I'd call back and complain about that. He could hardly have been more wrong in that recommendation.

that's what i was thinking. sometimes the advice from the small shop employees can be funny, to say the least. he either made a mistake and grabbed the wrong vial, or was just wrong.

Banana/Clove and IPA hops bill sounds pretty nasty.

Your wort should hold up fine assuming your sanitation is solid.

yeah, weird.

OP, you should be fine waiting until tomorrow to pitch the yeast.

You guys win, nobody would ever think of doing a Hefe- IPA

Mikkeller Yeast Series - Hefeweizen IPA :)

New Glarus did an Imperial Hefe-Weizen. The label says it was dry hopped with Cascade so it's probably not 70+ IBU, haha.

A few times a year we will cut Dan loose to brew whatever he chooses, uncensored, uncut, unplugged. Always handcrafted, the bottle you hold is brewed for the adventurous soul. This is a very limited edition and we make no promises to ever brew this style again.
Do not waste time attempting to bos this brew into some esoteric guide to styles. This is Dan's bold creation. His passion for unfiltered weiss collides with Cascade hops inventing our Imperial Hefe-Weizen. Dry Hopping boldly rules over Wisconsin Red Wheat and our special strain of Bavarian Weiss Yeast. At almost 20p this is the super mac daddy of Weiss beers. Decoction mashing was followed by excessive dry hopping to create a fierce onslaught of clove, cinnamon, and citrus all in this living beer. Don't bother waiting to enjoy - the time is now"

Oooops... This has been in my basement since last august...

Live a little, I say pitch!

Either way it's gonna make beer! If you really wanted to build a certain beer then wait. If not, pitch your yeast and take things as they come.

BTW: I hope you are not underpitching by using only one vial to a batch, check with a yeast calc to make sure you are adding the correct amount.

Back