Wyeast Problems ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepySamSlim

Reaction score
I'm a keep it simple guy and have been brewing my first batches with dry yeast.

Now attempting some clones and they call for liquid yeast -- yes I can get a close match with a dry --- but I'm considering trying a liquid.

One of our local brew shops sells Wyeast Activator "smack-paks" but they have a strong "buyer beware" as they have had so many customers either have total failures or very slow fermentation. Activator paks are supposed to be directly pitchable into 5 gallons.

So any of you having issues or problems using Activator paks ?

Thanks

Never had a problem with a smack pack before. I don't know why so many people are having problems with smack packs at your LHBS -- maybe old yeast due to slow turnover? Do a search on making a yeast starter and you'll be fine.

Weird that the shop wouldn't stand behind a product they sell. Seems like they would contact them if they had problems. Never had a problem with Wyeast myself.

No problems with WYeast here either, perhaps it's your LHBS that has the problem. If anything, it may be due to the fact that it ISN'T REALLY DIRECTLY PITCHABLE, unless it's very fresh, and the beer is at most 1.040, you should always make a starter with all liquid yeasts no matter what to insure the healthiest yeast and best fermentation possible.

Starter Starter Starter........ Does not matter if it is White Labs or Wyeast one of the best things you can do to improve your beers in my opinion.

No problems with WYeast here either, perhaps it's your LHBS that has the problem. If anything, it may be due to the fact that it ISN'T REALLY DIRECTLY PITCHABLE, unless it's very fresh, and the beer is at most 1.040, you should always make a starter with all liquid yeasts no matter what to insure the healthiest yeast and best fermentation possible.

Good feed back ---- I think the quote above would speak to most "issues" folks might have - yeast age - acceptable SG range of your brew - and probably add temperature and you have a lot of variables that new or careless brewers might encounter

The Wyeast activator has a "best before" date on it. Check that. I have had the opposite results that you say. Those activator packs, when used as directed, have a huge amount of rapidly reproducing yeast in them at pitch-time.

I had a problem with the smack packs before. My fridge got too cold one night and it froze the upper portion of the bags. I tried a starter and everything and no luck. The yeasties were dead! Other then that i have never had a problem with them.

So perhaps your LHBS had the fridge down too low or the fridge malfunctioned one night or something happened during shipment to your LHBS.

How are they stored, they do have them in a fridge right? Not in a freezer or just at room temp..they could be creating their own problems with how they treat them.

Also if they don't push them, and therefore they don't have a high turnover, they may be selling not so fresh stuff, again creating their own vicious circle with the product...

+1 on freshness

I've had success pitching fairly fresh smack packs without starters, and I've had even better success using smack packs with starters. I've only had one bad experience, and I can't even blame that on the smack pack, really. Last week I found a smack pack in the back of the fridge that I had forgotten about... It was almost a year old! Tried to make a starter with it, but it never took...

use a starter, for the first time a month ago I pitched a smack pack without a starter. the wort was around 1.060 (black pearl porter) and only attenuated out to 1.028, should have been 10 points lower. I have it kegged and drinking it (tastes good still) but I bet it could have been better. Use a starter!!!

Latest posts

Back