Wyeast PC July -Sept 2014 - Sourpalooza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The De Bom blend certainly sours quickly. Picked one up and pitched into a 1.060 porter over the weekend. Kept the temp up above 85F and the pH was down to 3.12 after 3.5 days. Taste was crisp and sour but a little thin and not overly complex. I tried some O2 according to Wyeast reccs and have some gummy Brett flavors coming out of the airlock now.

It has been an interesting fermentation to watch, much cleaner krausen initially. Loads of bubbles everywhere.

That's interesting. I haven't checked mine in 4 days, but the airlock was sure happy. I'll do a sample tomorrow and see where it's at. Glad to hear about the Brett. Wasn't sure what all was in there :).

The De Bom blend certainly sours quickly. Picked one up and pitched into a 1.060 porter over the weekend. Kept the temp up above 85F and the pH was down to 3.12 after 3.5 days. Taste was crisp and sour but a little thin and not overly complex. I tried some O2 according to Wyeast reccs and have some gummy Brett flavors coming out of the airlock now.

It has been an interesting fermentation to watch, much cleaner krausen initially. Loads of bubbles everywhere.

Good to hear it's working out! I bet that's the brevis. Seems to sour very aggressively and in short order.

Ordered De Bom and the Lacto Brevis today. Should be here Friday. Going to do a brown sour with the De Bom and do a side by side Gose with the Brevis from White Labs. I want to see if this is more aggressive and will take less work than the Lacto Del that I've used in the past. It takes too much work to get a good sour lactic taste for me. De Bom sounds really interesting. Couldn't fine the Oud Bruin anywhere in stock to order.

Ordered De Bom and the Lacto Brevis today. Should be here Friday. Going to do a brown sour with the De Bom and do a side by side Gose with the Brevis from White Labs. I want to see if this is more aggressive and will take less work than the Lacto Del that I've used in the past. It takes too much work to get a good sour lactic taste for me. De Bom sounds really interesting. Couldn't fine the Oud Bruin anywhere in stock to order.

Excited for the side by side!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How are you all oxygenating for these beers (De Bom in particular)? Wyeast suggests 4ppm, and I am a little fearful of perhaps over oxygenating using my diffusion stone and pure 02 (and also possibly contaminating my 02 setup, though I suppose the stone could be boiled and tubing switched out). Based on the chart they provide (https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm) simply shaking it would be closer to 4ppm, but could other problems occur from shaking and splashing the beer after it has already fermented for a few weeks?

How are you all oxygenating for these beers (De Bom in particular)? Wyeast suggests 4ppm, and I am a little fearful of perhaps over oxygenating using my diffusion stone and pure 02 (and also possibly contaminating my 02 setup, though I suppose the stone could be boiled and tubing switched out). Based on the chart they provide (https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm) simply shaking it would be closer to 4ppm, but could other problems occur from shaking and splashing the beer after it has already fermented for a few weeks?

I would be a little uneasy about plunging my stone in there as well, as there are a lot of little crevices that are hard to clean in a stone. However, if you have an autoclave/pressure cooker or access to one, if you hold it at 121 C/15 PSI for 15 minutes, you should be good!

For those of you that have used 3203, did you make a starter?

I did not use a starter for 3203 in my 1.050 Oud Bruin. At 12 days it's at 1.012, showing some signs of souring and has lots of yeast rafts on top. No off flavors. Pretty delicious, if a bit mild as of yet.

I did not use a starter for 3203 in my 1.050 Oud Bruin. At 12 days it's at 1.012, showing some signs of souring and has lots of yeast rafts on top. No off flavors. Pretty delicious, if a bit mild as of yet.

Awesome. I think I'll grab a pack when I get the chance and make a sour after my helles and IPA that I have planned. Thinking maybe a pilsner nelson smash.

I just transferred an Oud Bruin brewed with 3209 to secondary. I pitched in the mid-70s and it probably crept up above 80 pretty early in fermentation. It's about 2.5 weeks old, and the gravity is at 1.020, down from 1.062. The pH was 3.81.

Taste is definitely sour, and a bit fruity, but still very rough as you'd expect this young. I was torn about adding fruit now or waiting, but since Jess Caudill from Wyeast said that the blend was designed for a 4-6 week turnaround, I decided to add cherries now, and think about bottling in 2 months. To be honest, I'm half expecting the beer to pick up some brett from the cherries anyway, which might force me to age it longer.

I have been using my O2 wand to supplement oxygen into the fermentors. About 15 seconds or so has been what I'm going with. I've just been soaking my wand in StarSan in between uses, so here's to hoping that stuff works pretty well!

There doesn't seem to be any need for a starter with 3203. I pitched directly into 1.060 wort at the high side of Wyeast temp recommendations and got clean fermentation right on through. Sourness and dimension is continuing to develop. I actually just took a sample, and it was surprisingly delicious for just over 2 weeks old.

I did a 1.078 strong blond last weekend with 3203, but I also added a few pumps of 3724 cake to push through the sugars a bit easier. After a week the flavor is a bit less tart than the first trial, but there's still pretty significant activity in the fermentor so I'm sure it will continue to develop.

It would have been really interesting to see how one Wyeast pack alone would handle a higher gravity wort without any aeration, starter, etc.

Impressed by the L. brevis so far. Both the Berliner and the Saison I pitched it into last weekend have a nice tartness already (despite fermenting at 65F in competition with ale yeast). No weird off-flavors to report either. Looks like both are still working, so we'll see where they end up.

Impressed by the L. brevis so far. Both the Berliner and the Saison I pitched it into last weekend have a nice tartness already (despite fermenting at 65F in competition with ale yeast). No weird off-flavors to report either. Looks like both are still working, so we'll see where they end up.

Awesome to hear. So you pitched them both with the ale yeast right off the bat? No need for the few days alone to get it tart before the ale yeast takes over huh? Mine came in Friday so I'm going to split a batch of Gose between the two.

Did you do any starter with them?

Santé!

Awesome to hear. So you pitched them both with the ale yeast right off the bat? No need for the few days alone to get it tart before the ale yeast takes over huh? Mine came in Friday so I'm going to split a batch of Gose between the two.

Did you do any starter with them?

Santé!

I did a 1L starter on my stir-plate for a couple days.

I pitched the Lacto when the worts hit ~90F, and placed them in my basement at 65F. The saison blend went in just a few hours later (I diluted with some cold water to knock down the temperature to 75F), the Berliner got the US-05 and some Brett dregs about 24 hours after the Lacto. Neither had much acidity when the yeast went in, saison looked much more active than the Berliner at 24 hours.

I did a 1L starter on my stir-plate for a couple days.

I pitched the Lacto when the worts hit ~90F, and placed them in my basement at 65F. The saison blend went in just a few hours later (I diluted with some cold water to knock down the temperature to 75F), the Berliner got the US-05 and some Brett dregs about 24 hours after the Lacto. Neither had much acidity when the yeast went in, saison looked much more active than the Berliner at 24 hours.

I'm going to throw them on a stir plate in the garage for a couple days I think. Then seen how close each labs version is.

Santé!

So my wife was driving by my LHBS on Friday and she called to see if I wanted her to pick up anything for me. I told her if they had any of the Wyeast sour PC offerings, to please grab one. When she got home, she surprised me with a pack of each (she's awesome). So given the sour that I already had planned, my next four batches will be sour beers.

I pitched 3203 De Bom blend into 1046 wort Sunday night without aerating at all as the instructions called for. It's been nearly two days now and there is a nice krausen going on top of the beer.

My question to you guy is how long should I wait to start the micro-aerations of 4PPM O2 the instructions call for? They are pretty vague and only specify "during fermentation."

I just brewed with de bom. I'm stuck at 1.040, og 1.057. 2 weeks in. Fermenting in the 80's. Tastes great with light sourness. I have the oud bruin in a 30 gallon oak barrel. Haven't tried it yet. Took off like a champ.

I just brewed with de bom. I'm stuck at 1.040, og 1.057. 2 weeks in. Fermenting in the 80's. Tastes great with light sourness. I have the oud bruin in a 30 gallon oak barrel. Haven't tried it yet. Took off like a champ.

Have you added any O2 yet as the Wyeast instruction call for?

For those of you using 3203 de Bom, are you doing a secondary? If so, how long of a primary are you doing?

I am hoping to grab a pack today, but I'm not sure what kind of recipe. Hoping for something along the lines of an American Sour Ale, but can't find any good recipes.

I plan on no secondary on mine. I'll be tasting for timing, but no shorter than 2 mos I imagine and if it needs longer than 4 mos I'll probably rack it.

I've got a pack of Oud Bruin arriving today. Considering pitching when the wort hits 80F, but putting it in the basement at 65F right after that. Still not sure exactly what I'm brewing with it though, I feel like I have enough classic dark sours aging already.

From Wyeast:
"This blend contains Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces and an ale yeast.
Please let me know if you have other questions."

Anybody getting anything off when pitching at 80F with saccharomyces around? It's not much information, so the strain could be just about anything. I know they recommend this temp, so I doubt you would, but curious nonetheless.

Doing an Oud Bruin with this next weekend, and berliner weisse with the L. brevis this weekend! (Hopefully...)

My Oud Bruin was consistently 80ish for at least the first week and it's super clean. No off flavors.

I don't know much, but wouldn't the other bugs eat up whatever 'off flavor' byproducts the sacch would create in a higher temp fermentation?

My Oud Bruin was consistently 80ish for at least the first week and it's super clean. No off flavors.

That's what I would have expected. I imagine the blend is such that the lacto takes the lead anyway. Looking forward to trying it.

From Wyeast:
"This blend contains Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces and an ale yeast.
Please let me know if you have other questions."

The Oud Bruin blend has brettanomyces in it? Or were they talking about De Bom?

The Oud Bruin blend has brettanomyces in it? Or were they talking about De Bom?

That's what she said re the Oud Bruin blend. I asked specifically about the presence of Pediococcus, which there is none.

That's what she said re the Oud Bruin blend. I asked specifically about the presence of Pediococcus, which there is none.

Thanks, good information. I assumed that because they were talking about a quick turnaround, there was no brettanomyces in this blend.

I'm pretty sure that The oud bruin blend Does NOT have Brett and De Bom does.

That's what I thought, but BigPerm seems to have got different information from Wyeast. I've emailed them to see if they can confirm this.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I wanted Brett so I went for De Bom... Very curious what they say.

Thanks, good information. I assumed that because they were talking about a quick turnaround, there was no brettanomyces in this blend.

I was a little surprised too. I wonder if it's meant to add some fruity esters or clean things up after a quick sour?

Anyone have much experience with the De Bom blend? Brewed a darker grain bill on Saturday with a 5 lb Vienna, 4 lb Munich, 1.5 lbs torrefied wheat, 8 oz special b, 8 oz caramunich, 8 oz flaked oats and about 12 IBU hallertau, OG 1.054. Pitched two packets De Bom into unoxygenated wort at 80F and set it that temp. It's been there since Saturday evening with some nice airlock activity Sunday afternoon and no krausen, since then the airlock activity has pretty much stopped and still no krausen. Is this expected? I was expecting some yeast activity from sachh but there's nothing apparent to me.

I know mine is bubbling away happily since i pitched Friday. Did you activate the packet? Also, why did you pitch 2?

Latest posts

Back