wyeast packet didnt swell.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redking11

Reaction score
So I smacked my wyeast pack and started my wort. 3 hours later it hastnt swelled up. Should I pitch it and wait a few days, pitch and get a new packet tomorrow and pitch it too, or not pitch this one and just get a new packet tomorrow.

Second question, should I strain the hops out of my wort before putting it into the fermenter?

oh but i do have a spare mutons dry yeast, but i hear a beer turns out better if you use the beer specific yeast. In this case a kolsch. Opinions?

Not sure what recipe you have but this is strictly my opinion, pitch the smack pack since you have it, the temp might be too low to activate, it could be bunk, but it most likely won't go funky. Grab another in case and maybe start planning the next brew. If you don't see some action on the first than you have a backup.

What was the temp when you smacked it?

I've had Wyeast packets that take up to a day to really swell. 3 hours seems a little soon to me. I'd wait until tomorrow. Put the cap and airlock on, and wait and see if it swells, then pitch.

thanks for the advise man. I figure, worst case senerio, i pitch two packs. Does not pitching increase the chances of the wort getting infected?

you can pitch it without waiting for it to swell...it doesn't matter.

opened up the pack, the nute pack was open, im thinking that maybe it had accidentally been broken open earlier and didnt swell due to the cold fridge. if I'm not bubbling in day or two ill pitch a second pack i think.

I always smack the crap out of mine and listen to the pouch afterward to make sure I hear the fizzing sound. I also smack them about 4 hours before I plan to use them at a minimum and don't get anything else started until I am sure the yeast is ready to go, even for a starter.

Back