Wyeast pack can't handle the smack down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreekBrewery

Reaction score
First off, this isn't a Wyeast rip thread... stuff happens.

Started making beer bright and early this morning and after doughing in I pulled my pack of 3711 out of the fridge. I took it in my basement, luckily it's unfinished, to smack it and get it going. I give it a wack (yes I've done this before) and it goes pop and yeast goes spraying all over me and floor! My son was standing there so the only thing that come out of my mouth was uggg.

Looking at the pack there was about 1 inch tear along the top of the pack. Has anyone else had this happen? As soon as NB opens this morning I'm going to give them a call. I figure they'll give me a replacement since it seems like a manufacturing defect. I save a bit of the yeast but no where near what I'll need.

Another funny brewing mishap story :tank:

No, I've been using wyeast for about 6 years now and haven't had that happen... yet.

I was too excited once, :drunk:, and when I smacked the pack this very thing happened.
I didn't lose too much, and immediately poured what what left into a flask to make a last minute starter. Beer came out fine.
I only had myself to blame, it just couldn't handle my smackdown

As you said, there must have been some kind of manufacturing defect. I've been abusing these packs for quite some time now and nothing like this have happened.

Hope nb will give you a new pack. good luck brewing.

Oh it hasn't ruined my day by any means. Got some action before I started making beer and I just hit my preboil gravity spot on so I'm still smiling :)

I've been using Wyeast exclusively, except for a US05 here and there, for 3 years and have never had this happen which is why I didn't worry too much.

This is like the 4th thread I've seen where this has happened. You're not the first and I'm sure you won't be the last ;) I had a bit of a time getting my 3711 internal thingy to rupture. I could definitely see the big pack happening to rupture first.

Once I smacked 2 packs. Made my brew. Went to pitch and saw a tiny hole at the top of one of packs with gnats swarming around it. I trashed it and have tried to be more careful.

Yeah, I've never had that happen and I use Wy a lot. Probably a faulty pack. And yeah, I'm gonna be that guy and tell ya you should always make starters..... woulda been especially important in this case since you lost some of the yeast.

I have smacked dozens of packs with no rupturing, but I always try and direct the snack toward the bottom. Now my next pack will probably explode.

Latest posts

Back