Wyeast help.... is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1620HBC

Reaction score
HI guys been pretty pumped to make my new brew. So the other night i get everything out , i activate my wyeast and then realize I FORGOT TO BUY HOPS!!!! So the activated swollen wyeast has been in my refrige for a few days. On my way to LHBS who i know doesnt carry belgian wyeast but has the hops.... What should I do? Should I pitch it anyway? should I wait and order more? help!!!

It's still good but you will probably need to make a starter to ensure enough viability. What is the date on the activator pack? If it is fresh you may get away without a starter but if it is older you will want to make a starter. I always make a starter and have never had a problem with Wyeast/activator pack fermentation and I often use packs that are 6+ months old (I stock up on hard to find strains and then wash them). Montanaandy

so its okay even if its been activated and sitting in fridge temp? wow really?

Yes. You will find that if you continue to use liquid yeast (that is all I use and Wyeast is what I prefer) that often the packs are a bit swollen when you purchase them at the LHBS. I would strongly suggest that you invest in a 2000ml breaker and a stirplate if you are serious about brewing and plan on continuing to use liquid yeast. You will never have to worry about having enough yeast/the date on the smack pack/etc. if you do. Do some research on this board and pay particular attention to Revvy and his posts on starters. Montanaandy

Back