Wyeast Cider Yeast Characteristics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am attempting my first cider using Wyeast's Cider Strain. I'm just curious what the characteristics this yeast will show during fermentation. Can I anticipate a large krausen or a very vigorous fermentation? I pitched a large starter into a 4 gallon batch. Any thoughts?

I also just started a 4 gal batch with the Wyeast Cider strain. No activity yet (16 hours after pitching) but I'm going to be patient. It was my first time using a smack pack and it hadn't started to swell 3 hours after smacking, but the package says that it doesn't have to swell to use it. Has anyone else experienced long lag times with this strain? How long should I wait for activity before I throw some dry yeast in there?

I say give it time... I had activity within 12 hours but I made a large starter. I'm thinking that this is NOT going to perform like a standard ale yeast.

Also my pack did not swell either.

Ya, not much, I know.
Using a starter you should get results faster. Seems odd to me that you didn't get signs sooner.
with my recent starter/cider I got bubbles within the hour.

I used it on a hybrid amber ale that I had put 1 gallon of apple juice in. Small krausen, left plenty of apple flavor, and it took a good 24 hours for my smack pack to inflate.

In case anyone is interested, my cider started bubbling away, so:

Wyeast Cider Smack Pack
Pitched 3 hours after smacking, no swelling
~24 hr lag time in a 1.045 apple juice

Just another data point...

Back