Wyeast 5335 (Lactobacillus) Experience/Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I thought I'd share my most recent experience at souring wort using Wyeast 5335, so that others can avoid my mistake. I'd also like some input on my current situation.

My first attempt at souring wort went off like gangbusters. I boiled a weizen wort for 5 minutes, cooled to 100F and drained into a 5 gallon plastic mash tun. I was shooting for 5 gallons, but my mash tun is wicked warped so I ended up closer to 3.5. Anyways, I pitched a packet of Wyeast 5335 into the cooler, three days later I had a perfect sour wort. Post boil I ended up with about 3 gallons.

I decided that I wanted a full 5 gallon batch of this beer, so I started another batch. Same procedure, with two big exceptions. First, I put the wort into the cooler at ~120F (I read that temperatures in that range promote quicker souring.)

The second change was that I split the Wyeast 5335 between the cooler and a starter for future sours. I accidentally added more than half of the packet to the starter. No big deal, right?

The starter tasted perfect after two days. Incredibly clear, beautiful tart aroma and the sourness was spot on.

That cooler though. I've never smelled a beverage that could be more accurately described as cheesy feet. Now, that alone isn't a deal breaker. But I'm into the sixth day of this attempt and while the smell has dissipated, the wort tastes like it did on brew day. No tart twang, just warm wheat milk.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I am going to dump this **** down the sewer first thing tomorrow morning. Based on the milky appearance, dull-but-off taste, foul odor and still-active krausen, I'm going to say that this is a sign Butyric Acid. There is nothing sour about this, and although I have patience, I see no future for this wort. Instead, I am going to start fresh.

Going forward, I am going to make two changes. First, I will ferment the next batch closer to the low-90s/upper-80s. It may not be the path to the quickest sour, but it has produced the cleanest sour so far.

Second, I am making a good-sized starter of 5335 and pitching it while it's active. Honestly, I have no clue if pitching rate is important for lacto as it is for yeast, but my experience suggests that it is. An active starter will cut down on the lag time before the souring occurs, and it will hopefully ensure that other nasty bugs don't take hold.

There you have it. I have read the massive, awesome Berliner thread, and I have done my fair share of googling on this strain of lacto. Hopefully this helps someone avoid the mistakes I've made.

Also, if there is any reason to keep this wort, then convince me ASAP. Otherwise, down the sewer it goes.

Back