Wyeast 4766 Fermentation funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider going and I am using 4766. A few hours after pitching I got a really nice apple smell being off-gassed through the airlock. Now, however, I am getting, what I believe to be, a sulfur smell. To me it smells like rotten eggs, but my wife described it as "sour".

Has anyone else who has used this yeast had the same results? I've never used the yeast before and this is my first batch of cider. Of course the smell develops when the homebrew store is closed.

i have not used that yeast but when i used wlp720 sweat mead for my cider it did the same thing smelled like my head was in an apple for a couple days then my entire basement smelled like a rotten egg for a couple weeks. when i tranfer to secondary it still smelled a small bit i let it sit for 2 months in secondary bottled and it had no smell or taste of sulfur left.

If the temp of your cider is high, say above 75 F, this may be why. Try to get the temp between 60 & 70. If you get the temp down and the smell won't subside 24hrs later you can do what is known as a splash rack (wine making technique). Rack from your current container into another but aerate the cider, a lot, you can also try adding a yeast nutrient as they may be stressed. DAP (Diammonium Phosphate) or superfood (a name brand blend of nutrients) work very well. Try cooler temp and nutrients first (it’s less work).

I know I know it sounds bad and some will say "you'll oxidize the cider", as long as you are fermenting this will not happen. DO NOT splash rack after fermentation is complete, though, or you will oxidize it. Try it on small scale if you like, take a sample and put it in a glass, take another empty glass and mix the sample between the two glasses a few times. let it sit for a few minutes (3-5) then smell and taste you should notice a lessening of the odor.

Check out this thread too:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/sulfur-smell-207612/

Latest posts

Back