Wyeast 3726 - Potential For Future Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourLover

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question here, but I figured that it was better to ask than have an issue down the road. I did some looking up and research first, but wasn’t 100% satisfied with the information I was able to find.

My next batch will be a Saison using Wyeast 3726. I currently have four open fermenters ( 1 sour (brett,pedio,lacto) glass, 1 clean (sac without STA1 gene only) glass, and 2 new PET ). I want to use the clean glass one for this beer, but am wondering if the diastaticus strain is going to be a contaminant in future batches? If I clean the glass carboy well, like I always do with PBW, what is the likelihood of this strain carrying over to future batches? Does this strain also have the potential to contaminate everything else associated with it, such as the erlenmeyer flask, bung, air lock, transfer hose, racking cane, etc?

Isn’t 3726 “clean”, as in, no Brett or anything? I’ve used it a few times for saison and proceeded as normal. Great beer but I didn’t notice anything funky or sour from it. Tart, sure but nothing out of the ordinary

3726 and other Saison yeast do have the STA-1 gene - diastaticus - which means they will chew on your wort more than regular lager/ale yeast ( if packaged before fermentation finished completely, the yeast will slowly ferment more of the available sugars and will cause problems with carbonation - bottles and cans only ). It's only a problem if bottling/canning too early and fermentation wasn't finished. They can contaminate future brews, if you do not clean, disinfect and sterilize properly prior to putting a new brew in there. If contaminated, you can experience higher apparent attenuation and / or some phenolics, specific to POF+ yeast strains, like most belgian and hefeweizen yeast - it's the clovey/peppery/spicey note.

Just make sure to sanitize like normal. I use the Imperial version of the same strain in my PET 'clean' fermenter, and I've never had any cross contamination. Just clean and sanitize well. Diastaticus yeast will die like any other yeast.

I agree with henchman24 and I had the same experience: no contamination, and I've used Belle Saison, BE-134, 3726 from Wyeast and its counterpart from Omega, Saisonstein's Monster, Brux Trois, etc. You just need to pay attention to cleaning and you should be fine.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment on this post. My main concern was higher attenuation in future beers. I will definitely pay some extra special attention to the cleaning process with everything associated with this batch.

My beers with 3726 came down quite low, as expected with a saison yeast. Never had issues with future batches in the same fermenter.

I also have Imperial Yeast's equivalent in the fridge and I am a bit nervous due to it being a diastaticus and all. I've recently had a severe problem with overcarbonation across numerous batches; ended up dumping a lot of beer and pouring a lot of boiling water into my (plastic) fermenters.
It's "just yeast", but don't underestimate it. I'm sure many fermentation vessels out there contain tiny amounts of yeast from past batches, which just doesn't really show unless it's a diastaticus...
Remember that StarSan and the likes are not efficient against yeast. I trust in heat.

3726 and other Saison yeast do have the STA-1 gene - diastaticus - which means they will chew on your wort more than regular lager/ale yeast ( if packaged before fermentation finished completely, the yeast will slowly ferment more of the available sugars and will cause problems with carbonation - bottles and cans only ). It's only a problem if bottling/canning too early and fermentation wasn't finished. They can contaminate future brews, if you do not clean, disinfect and sterilize properly prior to putting a new brew in there. If contaminated, you can experience higher apparent attenuation and / or some phenolics, specific to POF+ yeast strains, like most belgian and hefeweizen yeast - it's the clovey/peppery/spicey note.
WLP885 Zurich Lager yeast is also STA-1. I've used it once and ended up dumping the beer. I figure this yeast has its place, but not in the style that I made to evaluate the yeast. My guess would be something darker that would minimize its prominent phenolics

I also have Imperial Yeast's equivalent in the fridge and I am a bit nervous due to it being a diastaticus and all. I've recently had a severe problem with overcarbonation across numerous batches; ended up dumping a lot of beer and pouring a lot of boiling water into my (plastic) fermenters.
It's "just yeast", but don't underestimate it. I'm sure many fermentation vessels out there contain tiny amounts of yeast from past batches, which just doesn't really show unless it's a diastaticus...
Remember that StarSan and the likes are not efficient against yeast. I trust in heat.

Star san and iodophor are highly effective at sanitizing clean surfaces.

That says efficient not effective. Star San and Iodophor are not really efficient at killing yeast, but they can be effective given the right situation. If something isn't clean, none of the chemical cleaners will be able to sanitize to the proper level. They don't do well with any leftover gunk... but if the surface is clean and the right dilution/time/temp combo are used, it will take care of any yeast. A good rule of thumb with star san is 1 oz per 5 gallons for 5 minutes at 100F. That will take care of most issues.

The most efficient way is boiling water. Mere seconds will take care of most problems, but let site for 5-10 and all are pretty much done for. Temps will kill most anything quickly. Even 155-160 for 15+ minutes will kill most spoiling bugs. Many plastics don't like those temps though.

I've never had an issue with any ferment post STA-1 fermentation. I use several STA-1 strains. I use an iodophor
soak, followed by StarSan before filling my plastic fermenters. I didn't even know that the strains I was using were STA=1. That is what has worked for me anyway. Once I learned of this, I started using 3 fermenters that were for these beers.

I've never had an issue with any ferment post STA-1 fermentation. I use several STA-1 strains. I use an iodophor
soak, followed by StarSan before filling my plastic fermenters. I didn't even know that the strains I was using were STA=1. That is what has worked for me anyway. Once I learned of this, I started using 3 fermenters that were for these beers.
Same, never had an issue with batches after using saison strains.

Back